Christmas came early this year

November 30, 2010

UPDATE: Lola was really lethargic and not eating her food today (Dec. 2nd) so we took her to the animal hospital. Turns out that she has the parvo virus. She probably contracted it at the pound, but it’s just now showing up. Please send your positive thoughts and/or prayers her way. She needs it :(.

If you follow me on twitter, then you know that I recently got a puppy. I’ve had puppy envy as long as I can remember. My family’s dog died when I was only 8, and we never got another one, so for a large part of my life I never had a pet. My sisters both have dogs, and that has made me have a serious infliction of dog-fever.

Luckily, if there is one thing that I am, I am persistent. After weeks of talking about the wonderful aspects of a dog, or saying “that wouldn’t have happened if we had a dog..” my parents caved in to my biggest wish.

Welcome home, Lola 🙂

On Saturday my parents and I went to a couple different pet stores that had shelters who brought pets for adoption. At our last stop of the day, I saw Lola. I fell in love pretty quickly, but she was exactly the opposite of what I thought I wanted. I thought I wanted a poodle-mix and probably a male (I’ve only had male pets before – weird!).

Later that night, I really regretted not adopting Lola, but I knew that if another family had not adopted her she would be at the shelter on Sunday. On Sunday we went to the shelter. I was hoping that she was still there, but preparing myself for the worse. I knew I would fall in love with pretty much any dog, but I realllllly wanted her.

As soon as we walked into the shelter, I could see her excited in her kennel. It was meant to be! (or at least, that’s what I’m telling myself). To sum it up, I’m beyond happy.

She’s the best Christmas gift ever.

Ignore my embarrassing pajamas 🙂

What’s the best Christmas gift you’ve ever received? Do you have a pet that’s stolen your heart?

1. November 30, 2010 2:50 pm

soooo cute!

❤ Anika
    Twitter: @AnikaSweetface

2. November 30, 2010 6:51 pm

OMG she’s beautiful. It was totally meant to be and it looks like she has settled right into her new home. Every dog deserves a happy home full of love, exercise, and good food. Congratulations on your new addition. Lola is an awesome name btw. Enjoy!

• December 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Thank you 🙂 Such a nice comment! She made herself at home right away, but she does NOT like the basement. Too cold, I think. She’s spoiled already, for sure!

3. November 30, 2010 7:51 pm

She is GORGEOUS!! It almost makes me want one! But with my husband and I both out at work all day it wouldn’t be fair. Plus our two cats would terrorise it!

• December 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Yeah, it has been super helpful living in a house with 2 other adults, especially with a puppy. If I had gotten an adult dog, it would have been different. I wish I could have cats around so I could see if I do like them, but my mom’s allergic so I’ve never spent much time with them.

4. December 1, 2010 4:48 am

Eeeee! She is so adorable!!

I have two dogs, they are my babies & I cannot put to words how much I love them! I have a male & female. Ginny was my first ever female dog & she’s rather different from the males I’ve had. I would make a suggestion to get her de-sexed. Dog periods are not fun!!

• December 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Yeah, they freak me out a bit. I remember as a child being completely mortified by a dog that was bleeding, because I so did not understand what was happening. Lucky for me, the desexing operation is paid for when you adopt from a shelter where I live.

5. December 1, 2010 7:13 am

Hahah cute dog, cute name! She looks surprisingly comfortable like she is in her own turf already. I don’t have pets (not unless you count the occasional fish) because the parents object and I wasn’t sure if I would be responsible enough so that’s that!

• December 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if I was responsible enough either, but it’s a swift kick into getting myself in gear. Definitely has made me realize that I want to be MUCH older before I have children though! haha

6. Mary permalink
    December 1, 2010 8:46 pm

Oh, God! She is so sweety and cute! I envy you! I have a dog too, but now I see him only once a week, because I moved to live without parents, in anothe flat. Dogs give us a lot of happy. They understand us when nobody can, they support us like nobody can. And sometimes you may drop down from theirs nice look. Congratulations! To my minde both of you will be happy!

• December 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Thank you so much, Mary! 🙂 You’re so right about all of that. Her hugs are already something I love and want every day. Dogs are so affectionate. I love it!