OOTD: The (Almost) Perfect Denim Shirt Dress

March 17, 2011

A few of you who follow me on twitter may have remembered a while ago that my local Lane Bryant closed, so I picked up lots of goodies for cheap in their close out sale. I found this denim shirt dress amongst some of the last things there, and I knew I needed to pick it up for the spring and summer season.

I’ve always loved wearing denim, but this is the first time I’ve own a denim dress. And it’s almost the perfect denim dress. I always struggle with loving dresses this cut and sheath dresses, because my body is 1-2 sizes bigger on the bottom than on the top. Those types of dresses typically don’t leave room for my hips, but this one works pretty well considering the cut of the dress.

The dress ends right above my knee which makes it fit perfectly in warmer spring days. It came with a denim tied belt, but I substituted in this belt from Torrid for a bigger pop.

I added on gold/pearl earrings from Banana Republic Factory Store. I love their jewelry because it has Banana Republic design but with outlet prices.

I got this cute clutch purse from Aldo ( you all know how I feel about Aldo), and knew I had to wear it with the dress.

I love the floral print, and it’s a nice pop of color.

Lane Bryant no longer carries this shirt dress in their online store (although, it’s possible they may have it in-store), but they have some other cute shirt dresses on the site.

Images from http://lanebryant.com

1. Belted Chambray Shirt Dress $79.95

2. Short Sleeve Denim Dress $69.95

3. Casual Belted Shirtdress $79.95

Do you have shirt dress? How do you like to style it?

Outfit Details

Dress: Lane Bryant

Belt: Torrid

Sandals: Nine West Outlet

Earrings: Banana Republic Factory Store

Bangle: Forever21

Purse: Aldo

**EDIT** Fat Nerd commented below about some of the items I wrote about. If you’re interested in buying, definitely check out her comment. You can also see her in the 2nd dress on her blog, here.

1. March 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I love it! Looks great with the belt!

2. keeralynn permalink
    March 17, 2011 5:16 pm

I love denim dresses. I’ll be wearing mine again soon, now that it’s getting nice out. Yours looks great, especially with that brown braided belt.

3. March 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Question: How do you find the time to change your purse all the time? I am not that ambitious!!!! I really like the dress on you. I too have the same problem with sheath dresses, need bigger on the bottom than on the top. Don’t you just love a bargain??

• March 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Lol, Georgia, I seriously have everything in a VERY spacious wallet, and I just switch that from purse to purse. My secret is now exposed ;)! Thanks, I was really happy with it, especially at that price!

4. March 17, 2011 8:15 pm

I love how you put this together! Id love to wear something like this but myself struggle with the length issue. Not only am I between a 22-24 im also between a petite and regular length so im so excited you’ve found this!! Envious! 🙂

• March 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks, Rachel! I’m all torso and short in the legs, so lengths are always … interesting since somethings hit me right and some don’t.

5. March 18, 2011 3:12 am

Hmmm I can’t even remember if I have a shirt dress. Oh I think I do! I usually like to pair mine with a tan belt, not unlike your own but i like skinny tan belts and brooches on shirt dresses.

• March 20, 2011 8:15 pm

I will definitely have to try it with a skinnier belt! The belt it came with was thinner, but I wanted a different color. I don’t own any brooches. I don’t think I’ve ever even worn one! Great ideas, D. Can’t wait to participate in your challenge!

6. March 18, 2011 12:42 pm

the dress looks good on you, and i think i might need the chambray one.

7. March 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Love this dress! I think shirt-dresses are wonderful! They seem to be just polished enough to wear to something a little fancy, but can be worn for something really casual as well! I have a similar issue with fitting them to me- I usually buy a size up since I know I’ll be wearing a belt with it!

• March 20, 2011 8:19 pm

I love them for the same reasons! So easy to switch from casual to dressy. I really wanted to size up, but they didn’t have it. Oh well, still love it 🙂

8. March 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Cute dress!

I saw this on the clearance rack at Lane Bryant and was amazed that it fit… but I put it back. You’re making me regret that decision! The more buttons a garment has, the more I worry. Shirt dresses LOOK cute but I feel like I’m one move from exposing myself. I’m a klutz so it is a valid concern!

Your accessories really tied it all together! Love the clutch.

• March 20, 2011 8:21 pm

LOL, that’s a legitimate worry. I always wear undershorts under dresses just in case!

9. March 20, 2011 3:12 am

HELLO! new follower- i am your new biggest fan!
    YAY! I can’t wait for more posts!
    🙂

matters of merrymaking

• March 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks, Bekah! I love your blog, thank goodness someone RTed it on twitter so I could find it!

10. March 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Oh my frekin god you look awesome in this I love it beyond words

11. March 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for a while, but never posted. I had to today when I saw your question!

First, I have the 2nd Lane Bryant denim dress you posted photos of at the bottom of this entry. I love it, it fits really well (although it could use another inch or 2 in the chest) and doesn’t wrinkle as badly as many LB woven dresses. The downside is that the dress is actually more of a chambray than denim, so it’s really thin and lightweight – perfect for summer! I actually just posted a photo of myself in it today.

Second, I HAD the third dress. It is horrible. It’s actually more of a canvas material than denim, with some stretch. However, it is sized way too small – I sized up for my chest and this dress was STILL tight on my body, the sleeves were also more snug than they needed to be, and the dress fell about 2-3 inches below the knee.

For reference, I wear a solid 26 at LB and have a mostly “apple” shape.

Anyway, love your blog! That denim dress looks great on you. 🙂

• March 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi!! I’m so glad you decided to comment 🙂 I took a look on your blog and the denim dress looks great on you!! Hopefully anyone who reads this post will take the time to read the comments because you give great details. Is it okay if I link to your post so readers can see it on a person? I have mixed feelings about LB because I’m a 28 and sometimes my hips are too big for their 28, which is frustrating when I fit fine into other store’s 28. But with everyone’s bodies being in a different shape, I guess it’s a bit expected. Thanks for commenting and I hope to hear more from you!

• March 28, 2011 12:18 pm

No, I wouldn’t mind at all. 🙂

LB’s new collection only goes up to 28, which sucks since the clothes are already sized SO SMALL. I can’t even imagine what their fit models look like anymore. The good thing is that, for once, they are adding things like seams and darts in their clothes. But to size them so small doesn’t make any sense. I wrote to them about this and, of course, never heard back.

I love your blog!