OOTD: We All Need a Little Sparkle in our Lives

June 15, 2011

Heeelllllllllooooo all of you wonderful people!

I’ve been very busy with my summer class (Gender & Film) and prepping for my term paper, so my ability to capture pictures of the outfits I’ve worn lately has been pretty dismal. For those of you who are interested in gender studies (or fat studies), I’m writing my term paper on the tv series Huge starring Nikki Blonsky. Her character and the character Alistar do some really interesting things gender wise, so I’m excited to combine fat and gender studies to do my term paper (and my professor is really into it–bonus!).

Beyond school stuff, I’ve been scouring the web to find some items that aren’t so basic to add to my closet. I received two packages yesterday with some really cute things from DKNY Jeans at Macy’s and Forever21, so I’ll hopefully be adding more OOTDs soon (although my photographer AKA mom will be out of town, so who knows!).

After trying on my DKNY Jeans items yesterday, I knew I had to immediately wear one of the items out. I was pretty tired this morning, so I knew I needed a little sparkle in my life to zest up the day.

(Shop: Top, Shorts, Shoes, Earrings & Ring no longer available)

This top from DKNY Jeans is absolutely beautiful (even more so in person). It has a slightly pink tint, which really picks up on the silver and champagne gold sequins. I got this in the 26/28 (4X), and it is loose fitting. It has a drawstring at the bottom, so you can either make it a tighter fit or loosen it up for a flowy fit. I decided to tackle the Old Navy shorts again, and I definitely wore them with a lot more confidence this time around.

I had worn the outfit with flats to school, and decided to trade them in for wedges for a more dressed-up look, but I’m kind of disappointed with how they look in these pictures. Back to the drawing board on shoe selection for this outfit!

I kept it simple with gold and clear beaded dangling earrings and a simple cocktail ring.

I got quite the number of compliments on this top, so it’s definitely a winner. Now let’s just see how long I can keep all of the sequins intact :-X!

Lola also wanted to get in on the fun.

Probably because she didn’t understand that I was being all professional as a “model” with my award winning photographer, Mom.

P.S. I know I do the hand on the hip thing a lot. You wanna know why? Because when I try to recreate some of the cool poses I see people do, this is what I look like:

I’m sure you are all confused like Lola was, right? Just admit it; it’s best that I stick to my Modeling 101 style poses ;). Otherwise you will all revert to this behavior.

Okay, okay. I’ve wasted your time long enough. Some people were wondering how DKNY Jeans items fit. The top was loose, but I am a size or two smaller on top than I am on bottoms. The shirt dress I ordered was a little tight around the hips, and the jeans were VERY tight. They do have stretch so I may see if I can stretch them out, but I don’t think I should have to work so hard to clothe myself so they may just go right back to Macy’s. I am VERY impressed with the quality of all the items, though!

Do you like to wear sparkly things? How do you incorporate them into a casual look?

I admit, sequins can scare me, but every once in awhile I need the sparkle!

P.S. This is my 100th post!! Woot!

1. June 15, 2011 8:39 pm

I love the top too! You must be a summer girl, you have such a beautiful glow about you. I can’t tan for the life of me, so I have decided to embrace my paleness.

Sorry I haven’t commented for awhile, been busy myself.

Anyway….I think you look divine!

• June 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Aww! Thanks, Georgia, and I’m really happy to hear from you again! My dad is Sicilian, so this is probably the ONLY good Italian trait I received, and there’s been plenty of summers where the tan just doesn’t happen anyways :). My sister is very pale, and I think it’s quite lovely :). I’ve been keeping up with your blog. I’m so happy your friend is feeling better!

2. June 15, 2011 8:47 pm

You look so pretty, Rebecca. LOVE the sparkly top — it really suits you! The top is both elegant and fun and goes fab with those shorts! You are one stylish young woman!

How wonderful that you’re doing a term paper on the series Huge. Writing assignments are so much easier when the subject is something that truly interests us. I hope you’ll share it with your readers, so we can read it too! šŸ™‚

P.S. Lola is a cutie!

• June 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks, Joy! I’m excited for the paper, but it’s definitely the most experimental that I’ve written. I hope I’ll be brave enough to share it, but I can be my own worst critic when it comes to academic essays!

3. June 16, 2011 1:53 am

LOVE!

4. June 16, 2011 8:46 am

I’ve always been intimidated by sequins but this season I’ve purchased a number of tops with them. I just think they add a little pop and I love that my car looks like a disco ball when I wear them! lol

I’m loving your style. You look fantastic!

• June 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Lol! I love that image! It’s like your entire car is celebrating with you ;). Thanks for the comment, Deanna!

5. June 16, 2011 11:23 am

I love that top. I’m wearing sequins today, too!

šŸ™‚

• June 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks! How are you wearing your sequins? I’m always intrigued by how people work in fun things to office wear, and I know you blog a lot about that :).

6. June 16, 2011 11:45 am

I love that shirt! I’ve been feeling super sparkly as of late too! šŸ™‚

7. Izabelle permalink
    June 17, 2011 9:18 am

Glad to see you in shorts again girl! They fit you really good

I seldom wear sparkly cloths. It’s not that I don’t find them pretty but every time I try something on I keep thinking: WHEN am I supposed to wear this? The funny thing is, every time I’m going out dancing I complain over the fact that I have NO party tops.

• June 24, 2011 5:38 pm

I have really come to love them. It just shows that insecurity can be a temporary and fleeting thing, and actually has nothing to do with the item itself sometimes! You sound like me! I tend to buy too many “going out” clothes and then struggle to fit them into casual wear. I think that’s why I like this one so much. It’s so neutral that you can make it day-time wear. šŸ™‚ Thanks for the comment, Izabelle!

8. Asia Blair permalink
    June 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Girl I love sequence Items Too. I just sometimes get scared when the sequence starts falling of the top. I love the top on you its looks roomy and comfortable and I also love the shorts too. You rocking this outfit Chicka!!!

• June 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks, Asia! I’m definitely going to have to care for this item much more than I’m used to. I’m always pretty rough with clothes, so I need to figure out a way to keep them safe. This top did survive bookbag straps though, so it must be pretty good quality šŸ™‚ Thanks for the comment!

9. June 19, 2011 1:16 pm

This looks fab! I didnt even know DKNY did plus size! Im a sucker for a bit of sparkle!

• June 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks, Naomi! They started carrying with Lane Bryant, but their stuff always seems to be sold out. I was happy to see Macy’s picked them up too. Hopefully Macy’s will see that they have customers in my size and extend their sizing.

10. June 19, 2011 3:49 pm

That top is GORGEOUS! The colour is fantastic! It goes really well with the shorts actually! I love anything that sparkles!

P.S Lola is adorable!

• June 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks, Natalie! We both love our fur babies, huh? Your two are adorable. Sometimes I wish Lola had a companion, but I don’t have the money or space for another!

11. June 25, 2011 11:29 am

I love this look! he top is GOREOUS! I have those same shorts, but from H&M BIB.

F21 isnt an option in Spain and I dont like to shop on-line, though perhaps I should try it? I am still having no luck finding gold chains!!

1. 3 Years of Growth and Fashion | theplussideofme