OOTD: Back to School Special

August 8, 2011

Before I get started I just wanted to say that I’m thinking of everyone in London. I know I would be absolutely terrified of what is happening there no matter which side I was on. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and that peace finds you soon.

It’s not fall yet. Believe me, I know that. But with this heat and humidity making it feel 100+ degrees, I can’t help but dream of fall, especially since school is starting really soon. I’m going to try really hard to not get too far on the fall bandwagon that is oh-so-fun to ride, and instead focus on what I need for the upcoming school year.

One of the themes on my back-to-school shopping list is separates. You all have probably realized now that I live most of my life in tops and bottoms, but I have a love for dresses that doesn’t always match my reality. Last fall/winter I really invested in dresses appropriate for the season, but this year I need to make sure I have a mix of separates that I can change around for different looks. When I was at Nordstrom’s the other week, I found this Daniel Rainn chiffon jacket that I fell in love with.

This print can be a little much for people who aren’t print-lovers, but I happen to be one so it made me happy. It has subtle hints of pale pink and plum, and completely gives me a separates option to dress a look up. I chose to wear it closed with a metallic tank, but I could just as easily wear this with flats and a v-neck black tee underneath for a more casual look. My arms are super short, so the sleeves are a slightly awkward length on me that I’ll have to find out if it can be altered.

I wore it with my favorite skinny jeans by City Chic and heels from Torrid.

I used a cloth belt that had come with a different cardigan and double belted it. Since the material in the back draped over the belt, no one would be able to tell that I had knotted it. I also added on my new favorite ring that I got in the Junior’s department at Nordstrom’s. It’s almost a trapezoid but also almost a rectangle with only one side slanted. Because it’s not too wide, it’s one big ring that does not take over my entire hand, which I’m pretty thankful for!

P.S. I had to size down twice on this jacket, so if you’re interested in getting it, keep that in mind!

SHOP: Chiffon Jacket, Tank–no longer available-they usually come out in the winter: similar, Jeans, Shoes–no longer available, Ring–in stores only

Beyond separates, I also have a really dirty, bright green bookbag to replace, so I’m thinking a satchel is a must for the fall!

Back to School Special by theplussideofme featuring leather satchel handbags
I’m leaning pretty heavily towards #5 or #2 in the green. Which one do you like best? I’ll be adding one of these beauties to my wardrobe very soon!
So I know this is a bit of a scatterbrained post, but are any of you currently making back-to-school or fall-must-have lists? What items are you looking for in the fall? Which satchel do you think I should pick?
Oh yeah, one more thing. Jolie.de, a German online magazine (maybe print too..I’m not sure!) featured me along side some STUNNING plus size ladies on their fashion portion of the site. If you’d like to take a look, it’s here. I’m not going to lie. It’s pretty damn exciting.
  1. August 8, 2011 8:25 pm

Yo girl. Sorry I wasn’t catching up on your life much 😦 I kinda of envy you going back to school. I am starting to miss school now that I’ve worked for so long and I miss the feeling of having different coloured pens in a cute pencil case and colour coded files to separate out the notes and then highlight, highlight, highlight.

I look forward to seeing more separates! I’ve also been trying to add on the number of separates in my wardrobe even though my love for dresses will never wane!

• August 10, 2011 10:29 am

Doesn’t matter, I’m just glad you’re back! I’m not going to lie, I’m also pretty relieved I’m still a student. I’ve already started hearing horror stories of my friends in the workplace–no thank you! lol Maybe some new pens and cases can make you feel better about work? I picked some cute ones up this week, and it’s amazing how that can motivate me, haha. Thanks for commenting, Dee, and you know I’ll be keeping an eye on your blog 🙂

2. Lucia permalink
    August 8, 2011 8:34 pm

i LOVE the green but I’m always all about color!

3. August 8, 2011 8:45 pm

There isn’t anything I don’t love about this outfit! You look gorgeous hun! The print on your chiffon jacket is so pretty! 😀

P.S. Thank you for your kind words about London, it's a scary place to be right now.

• August 10, 2011 10:37 am

Thank you, LaCara!! I’m sad for all of you having to deal with this. From what I’ve seen, I would be devastated. ❤

4. August 8, 2011 8:45 pm

Hey! Just stumbled upon your blog by way of twitter. =P That jacket is too cute, and I love the way you styled it. Oh noes! I may have to make a stop at Nordstrom soon. And also somewhere I can pick up a cute pair of skinny jeans.

Kelsey
    charmingpumpkin.blogspot.com

• August 10, 2011 10:38 am

I’m glad you did! I always love reading new-to-me blogs! Thanks for the comment :))

5. keeralynn permalink
    August 8, 2011 10:33 pm

I love the chiffon jacket. You look really beautiful. I mean, you always look beautiful, but the jacket really brings it out. If I were you, I’d pick satchel #4 – goes with anything.

6. August 8, 2011 10:47 pm

You lo0k awesome hunny as im catching up on all your older post just wanted to tell you keep up the good work and good luck this semester =]

7. August 9, 2011 1:15 am

I love this outfit! You always make pants look so amazing. How do you do it?! The jacket is lovely. Looks great on you. I don’t think the sleeves look awkward but can see how it might feel weird. I always push stuff up if it goes past my elbows…

• August 10, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks, Nicole! I wear pants all of the time. It’s dresses that I was always fearful of, haha. The material on the sleeve is loose, but I honestly am worried I’ll mess it up, so it will probably stay this way.

8. Deanna permalink
    August 9, 2011 7:59 am

I want this jacket so bad!!!

An inspiration as always. 🙂

9. August 9, 2011 5:16 pm

OMG….before I looked at your comments about the bags, I had totally picked out the green #2 and the #5, for myself. So many times I think we must be twins! LOL! Love the outfit, by the way!

• August 10, 2011 10:55 am

lol! We definitely gravitate towards similar things 🙂 Thanks, Georgia! I think I might be going towards the green one!

10. DeNeil permalink
    August 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi, I found your blog looking for images of this jacket. It looks like it has seaming and/or pleating on the shoulders, arms, and elsewhere but Nordstrom’s description doesn’t mention it and I can’t tell from their pic. So annoying. Can you tell me if it has these extra details and where, or is that just the print? Thanks!

11. August 13, 2011 6:23 pm

No pleating, that’s just how the print is. 🙂

12. Jerry permalink
    October 26, 2011 10:28 am

Yes I agree with all the lady’s you do look beautiful! I was just surfing the web and ran across your page and was in awww of your pic. was wondering if you are single and wanted to a pen pal? my email is automag44s@yahoo.com would love to chat

1. 3 Years of Growth and Fashion | theplussideofme