OOTD: Pigs are Flying

September 7, 2011

Tuesday started out like many other rainy days. I was frantically getting ready to go to school because it was my first day working in the university’s writing center and rain equals special hair care since only my curls will make it through a rainy day. I had my common problem of having not washed a certain color (this time my lights), so I had to work with my darks for a look that would get me through the day of tutoring, class, and traveling back and forth through the rain.

Because I decided that taking pictures for the blog was more important than a time cushion for getting to work(oops), I was solely focused on getting to campus as fast as I could once I left the house. Halfway through my drive to school, the rain really started pouring down, and that’s when I realized in all of my craziness, I forgot one important thing: an umbrella.

I had to make some decisions: Did I risk being late in order to get an umbrella and be dry throughout the day or did I risk being soaked? Vanity set in and off to find an umbrella I went. My first stop was a gas station, which I was hoping would be my save-all with their random assortment of junk. When I was there, though, some guys doing a promotion for some car cleaning thing started talking to me. At first it was the typical marketing thing, but then one of them started flirting with me, and I actually recognized in the moment what he was doing (which never happens). It was one of those “when pigs fly” moments, because I always assume that a guy is not going to flirt with me. It’s probably the biggest hang-up I still have with body acceptance and self esteem.

But here I was, hurrying around in the rain, in a not perfect moment, and I recognized that I was attractive to someone else. It seems so simple, and yet it was kind of a magical moment for me. It’s not that I’ve never been flirted with before (usually I don’t recognize it or completely avoid it), but it was that in that moment with that guy, I felt confident enough to flirt back. The moment wasn’t out of a storybook. I left without exchanging numbers, and I left without an umbrella (which I bought at stop #2). But realizing that I had made progress towards accepting that others could indeed flirt with me and be attracted to me gave me a boost in my otherwise crappy day.

Shop: V-neck & undertank (Target), Jacket (Lane Bryant),  Jeans (City Chic), Shoes (Target), Earrings and Bracelet (Target)

I didn’t care for the green on green with the earrings and jacket, but my hair mostly covered the green part of the earring, and only the gold showed through.

P.S. By the time I got to campus, it was sunny, and I didn’t even need my newly purchased umbrella. Coincidence? I think not.

If you have been practicing body acceptance, what has been some break through moments for you? Do you all enjoy flirting/dating or is it hard for you?

1. September 7, 2011 11:32 pm

It’s so wonderful that you’re starting to accept yourself as someone who is worthy of flirtation and male interest, because you absolutely are! And it’s no wonder he was flirting with you — you looked lovely! =)

charmingpumpkin.blogspot.com

• September 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks, Kelsey! I think I just have to get over that mentality I built when I was in high school.

2. September 8, 2011 4:06 am

You look so stylish and pretty that I would be flirting with you as well:)

3. keeralynn permalink
    September 8, 2011 6:12 am

Of course you were flirted with. You look lovely, but more importantly, you look confident!

Some body acceptance break through moments for me have been reading other fat fashionista blogs, and seeing one with my body type, and know she is beautiful in everyway. And if she is beauitful, and we have nearly the same body shape, then I must be beautiful in some way too. I’ve also come to realize that beauty comes in many shapes, and sizes. I grew up with this inner monologue of fat=digusting, but I’ve broken away from that now. Fat is beautiful, fat is natural, fat is soft, and pillowy ( as my kids say and love about me), fat is the way some of us were meant to be. We can’t (or shouldn’t) hate what we were meant to be.

• September 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks, Keeralynn! I love the experience you just shared! I remember having the same experience. Once we allow ourselves to see others as beautiful, we can begin to notice those exact same things in ourselves.

4. Izabelle permalink
    September 8, 2011 1:17 pm

I’m so glad for you! And I agree with everyone above, you really SHOULD get this kind of attention. I felt just like you two weeks ago. I and some friends went out dancing and for like the first time I noticed that guys really was looking at me. It even ended with some kisses. 🙂

• September 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Oooh! Sounds like fun ;)! Confidence really makes such a difference, huh? Now I want to go dancing, haha 🙂

5. Jules permalink
    September 9, 2011 9:20 am

No wonder you’ve been flirted with: you’re irresistible!! :))

6. September 12, 2011 5:30 pm

cute girl!! we have the same shape, i swear!!! check out my blog….

xoxo
    Jessica Kane

• September 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Jessica! And of course I already know about your blog! I’ve been following for awhile:)

7. September 19, 2011 8:33 am

You are gorgeous! You shouldn’t be surprised at all that someone would flirt with you! 🙂

• September 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks, Sara! I think the effects of years of not loving myself still has brought some issues into my current life.

8. September 19, 2011 5:51 pm

This outfit is awesome, I love it. I’m a new reader and I just wanted to let you know that your blog is inspiring! xo

Tara

9. September 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I just wanted to let you know I was inspired by you and totally copied this outfit. This past weekend, I wore an army green jacket from Old Navy, a black t-shirt from Target, and my dark blue skinny jeans and instead of flats, I wore my brown riding boots. Something about this combo is effortlessly sexy and confidence boosting! I got a ton of compliments so thank you stylish lady!~

• September 22, 2011 9:28 pm

That’s awesome! Boots would look so great with it. I wish I had better fitting boots, but my calves aren’t allowing it. I’m glad you felt confident and got lots of attention! 🙂

10. September 20, 2011 9:37 am

I have this jacket and I LOVE it. I wear it so much. One of the best things I’ve bought at LB in a long, long time. I love the ease of this outfit. So cute! Also, high five to flirting! You are beautiful, desirable and worthy of attention.

• September 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks so much, C! This jacket really is amazing. It’s so comfortable to wear, too!