Woo! These last two weeks have gone by so scarily fast that I’m still trying to catch up to life right now. I’m hoping to get back to regular posting in the next couple of days, but here’s what I’ve been up to:
1. The day after my last post, my brother wrecked his car (he’s safe and wasn’t hurt and no one else was involved-thank goodness!) while my parents were out of town, so I had to step in as the big sister and help him through that day. It was emotionally and mentally draining. Car wrecks are pretty dang high on the list of “worst fears” because I realize how quickly someone can be here and then gone the next minute because of them. Although it was a horrible day, my brother left the wreck unharmed, so we were all pretty lucky that day.
2. I’ve been lusting after clothing that is way too expensive for me, and I have had to come to the realization that I probably will NEVER be able to afford them because I’m studying to be a teacher :(.
1. Calvin Klein $148
2. MICHAEL Michael Kors $190
3. Lauren by Ralph Lauren $229
4. Vince Camuto $275
5. Sejour $158
3. I’ve been wearing relatively boring outfits.
4. I’ve been reading a lot of works about public writing, technologies of activism, girl power movements, and collaborative writing for activism, and I’m starting to get excited for my graduate project. (Total geek.)
5. I’ve been thinking a lot about how different bodies have different experiences in certain situations. For instance, where I work at now made a huge deal about cleavage. During our training camp, the director spoke about how bad cleavage was for a good 15-20 minutes with the entire staff. At first it didn’t bother me; “No cleavage” is a typical request at work places. But the continued emphasis on the body part alone started making me really uncomfortable to the point where I am very nervous about what I wear to work. In my body, when I sit down, I seriously only have one inch from the bottom of my neck to where my cleavage starts. I started to feel like I was a horrible person if I didn’t wear a turtle neck every day because boobs had been made the #1 Public Enemy. I’m still sorting out how I feel about this and how I think this kind of pressure/expectations/chastising affects different bodies.
6. I’ve also been loving watching Big Sexy on TLC. Here’s hoping they pick it up for a longer season!
What have you all been up to?
I’ve missed you:)