OOTD: Giving the Boot to Cankle-phobia

October 12, 2011

For years I’ve let cankle-phobia dictate my outfit choices. No ankle booties… ever. Every jean was scrutinized in the way it made my ankles look with my shoes. Let’s just say there were a lot of trends that I missed out on because of my fear of ankles. But here’s the deal. This last year has been a life-lesson on realizing how many “rules” from my culture I impose on myself, so when I saw some booties I liked this year, I decided to go for them.

Even after I got my booties in the mail, I still tried to figure out a way to wear them without making my legs look short (which is just hilarious because I’m 5’4″. Appearing tall is NOT going to happen.) This whole self and body acceptance thing doesn’t magically happen over night. It takes a lot of rewiring and a lot of trial and error. I decided to just go for the trend today, stumpy legs, cankles, and all. It felt good wearing this outfit, even if it’s not the “best” looking on me.

(Jacket is much more olive green than shown in the picture. I’m a bit disappointed with the photos.)

Kind of obsessed with a low-slung back. Makes me want to return to ballet classes!

Jacket: Yours Clothing (last year)

Black Top: Old Navy

Pencil Skirt: Kiyonna (last year)

Booties: Torrid

Ring: Forever21

Realizing that I have choices in how I feel, dress, and identify myself has been the greatest gift I’ve gotten from the body-acceptance community over the past year. And I think my cankles appreciate their moment in the sun. They’ve been hidden away for far too long!

Are there any trends/clothing items you’re trying out for the first time this year? What made you decide to go for it?

1. October 12, 2011 9:52 pm

You look absolutely beautiful, and have no reason at all to feel self-conscious about your ankles. That being said, though, I completely understand how you feel. There are certain things about myself that I’m not terribly happy with, no matter how many times I try to tell myself that I have nothing at all to be self-conscious about. I think the trick is having the courage to say, “Whatever! I like this [insert clothing item here], so I’m going to wear it!” So, kudos to you for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! I aspire to do the same!

Kelsey
    charmingpumpkin.blogspot.com

• October 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks Kelsey! It’s totally about the feeling and not the “reality” of cankles. I think we all hear these narratives about bodies that we fear fitting into: cankles, muffin top, and all of those not-so-lovely names people have made up. The fear versus the reality pulls at our insecurity. I totally agree with you. We have to just say “Whatevs” and wear it anyways :).

2. October 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I remember you posting those booties on Twitter, and seeing them on you makes me love them even more! They are so cute, and they look great on you!! I agree with Kelsey, don’t let anyone make you feel uncomfortable or not willing to try a trend. I don’t care what size I am, I will try and wear whatever I think that I will love! Some things work, some don’t…but hey, at least you can say you tried!
    BTW, love those nails!!

3. October 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Cankles? hmmm… I think not!!! I think you look amazing (which I know I always say… but you always seem to look amazing). But I like how effortlessly you pulled off this look. I don’t know what trends I want to try for the first time this year. Because my mind is so full of gobbly gook. I do know that I want to wear some killer shoes this fall/winter and booties. Aside from that… no clue… lol

• October 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks! πŸ™‚ I think when we both look over our blogs’ first year we will see that we’ve tried a lot of different stuff and pushed our style! You always have the best shoes, so I can’t wait to see them!

4. October 12, 2011 11:25 pm

I think this outfit looks AMAZING. I’m glad that you’ve overcome your fears. Life is too short to worry about that stuff!

Love the olive jacket and all black ensemble. The booties are my favorite though. How is the fit? I’ve really wanted a pair but the ones I wanted from Evans last year sold out in my size. And tall shoes are scary for me. I’m a klutz.

Buying a maxi dress this year was the new-to-me clothing item/trend. I never really liked how they looked on me or having all that fabric… but I have grown to love them after deciding to just go for it. I have a few that I love to death because they are super comfy. They have been relatively cool in 100+ weather and are great for cold weather too!

• October 20, 2011 7:36 pm

They are actually REALLY comfortable! I think I might put a cushion on the ball of my feet, but beyond that the heel is substantial and I feel comfortable walking around in them. I remember your “1st maxi dress” post. You looked fab in it! πŸ™‚

5. October 13, 2011 5:18 am

I’m the same height and I worry a lot about stumpy legs too. But I do still wear booties and I’m slowly trying to start wearing longer skirts as well!

But you look amazing in these booties – not too short at all πŸ™‚

• October 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks Ki! I definitely need to take on the challenge of the longer skirt. I look forward to reading your blog! πŸ™‚

6. October 13, 2011 6:56 am

I do not think this is bad at all! actually, those boots fit you perfectly!!! and I like the elegant/sporty combinations of items. πŸ™‚

7. October 13, 2011 8:15 am

Love it. Love those colors together, love the cut of the dress. LOVE that jacket.

• October 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks, C! I think I saw how much you work your jacket similar to this that I had to try it my self πŸ™‚

8. October 13, 2011 9:04 am

You look adorable!

9. Jeannee permalink
    October 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Rebecca, I love this OOTD on you!

10. October 13, 2011 3:26 pm

You are such an inspiration to me. You look totally confident and sexy πŸ™‚ I am going to give my cankles a lil glory in the sun as well ❀

11. October 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I think you look great and have such and endearing smile πŸ™‚

12. Jordan permalink
    October 13, 2011 3:31 pm

You totally DO NOT have cankles. I can clearly distinguish a difference between your ankle and calf. You look gorgeous πŸ™‚

• October 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks Jordan! I think it’s the fear that holds me and most people back, not actually having them πŸ™‚

13. dawn2099 permalink
    October 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I love the booties…and you look smashing! πŸ™‚

14. ashley permalink
    October 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Jeggings! I just got a pair and I love them!! I’ve only wore them out in public once so far.. but I do wear them around the house when people are over, And I wore them to the grocery store with my fiance he says they look great (But thats what he is suppose to say;P ) Im having a hard time pairing them with a shoe! HELP?!

• October 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Jeggings are so great! I’m glad you are liking them! πŸ™‚ They’re great tucked in a tall boot or with cute flats!

15. October 13, 2011 3:43 pm

You are absolutely beautiful! And I think this outfit just looks great on you, too! The booties are way cute, I have always had a fear of them as well… but you may have just inspired me to try a pair.

As for what I tried this year.. I tried skinny pants tucked into to-the-knee boots. I always avoided skinny pants because my arse and thighs are pretty hefty, and i could never find a pair of boots I liked or that fit correctly over my calfs, but thanks to Lane Bryant, i found a pair that were even, maybe a little bigger than i wanted. And darn it, I felt AWESOME wearing the outfit.

Keep up the great work, you really are an inspiration. ❀

• October 20, 2011 7:50 pm

I love that look! I wish I could find wide enough boots, but I’m still having trouble with that. Thanks for the sweet comment!

16. PhatNsassy permalink
    October 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Don’t mean to be a fly in your ointment but those shoes look like you tried to shove your legs into them. Not a great look. Sorry, but not a fan of this look on you. The other ladies are not being honest.

• October 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Personally, i think she looks great. I don’t think it’s your place to say what we do and don’t think.

• PhatNsassy permalink
        October 13, 2011 5:50 pm

lol..ok well 4 of my co-workers (plus-sized ladies) agreed with me. Her legs are way too think for a booty type shoe, not to mention her stubby fingers. She should get a set of acrylic nails so they don’t resemble fingerling potatoes as much. You know what they say about opinions and a-holes πŸ˜‰

• Nat permalink
      February 26, 2016 1:32 pm

It is haters like you that give negative energy. I see u have nothing else better to do but attempt to put a person’s spirit down because of your insecurities. She looks gorgeous. I bet this outfit cost more than your whole wardrobe. Go find a hobby you Debbie Downer and Negative Nancy.

17. STEPHANIE permalink
    October 13, 2011 3:50 pm

YOU LOOK GREAT!

18. October 13, 2011 4:06 pm

You are so pretty and you look so cute in this outfit. I love the booties and jacket! My cankles feel inspired!

19. Marie permalink
    October 13, 2011 4:28 pm

I think the the outfit looks pretty good. My sister is the same height and she manages to look taller by wearing lower cut shirts. The only thing I wouldn’t have worn with that outfit is such a wide ring, when you have short fingers wearing a wide ring just makes them look even shorter and stumpier.

• PhatNsassy permalink
      October 13, 2011 5:37 pm

I so agree!!

• October 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the comment Marie! I like to wear rings of all sizes. Stumpy fingers or not πŸ˜‰

20. Elizabeth permalink
    October 13, 2011 4:51 pm

You look amazing! I do love your choice in booties haha, you’ve certainly inspired me to dress the way I want to dress. I, too, have let society’s definition of ‘what not to wear if you’re over 200 lbs’ dictate how I dress even though I have such a desire to dress myself to express myself.

• October 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Yeah, I think the “rules” are just trying to keep us from looking fab! πŸ™‚ haha

21. October 13, 2011 5:16 pm

You look wonderful!!! Love the booties!

22. October 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Love this post! And I am now subscribed to your blog! I have felt the exact way for years. I would only wear skirts or dresses if I had long boots to wear, but I couldn’t find any, so I missed out on so many cute outfits. Finally I said, forget it, my cankles are there, and people will just have to deal with it!

You look absolutely darling!!! Thank you for posting!

• October 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Freeing yourself from the “rules” feels so good… and is much more fun! Thanks for the sweet post! I look forward to reading your blog πŸ™‚

23. Anissa permalink
    October 13, 2011 6:50 pm

You’re beautiful!, and you look great in that outfit. πŸ™‚

24. October 13, 2011 7:43 pm

You look gorgeous in that outfit! But can you please list what nail polish you’re wearing! Its to die for!
    I have the problem with boots that I have very thin ankles, but thick calves, so I have always gone with ankle booties and never boots, simply because they wouldn’t fit! But my partner found me a pair of City Chic ones that are great. But this outfit is simply gorgeous, and I have now subscribed to your blog πŸ™‚

• October 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I’m glad you found a pair that fits you just right! I’m still looking for tall boots.. I think it was an Ulta Mink brown/gray color and then silver polka dots!

25. October 13, 2011 8:59 pm

My hubby and I both think your booties like great! You are too cute πŸ˜‰

26. October 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Love the boots!

27. October 13, 2011 10:48 pm

I think the booties look great! My cankles are usually surrounding that poking out ankle bone and your booties would actually cover all that. I think as long as it doesn’t look tight and oozing around the top part of the boot (which yours doesn’t), it looks really good! Hmm, think I’m following your blog now too!

28. Izabelle permalink
    October 17, 2011 6:35 am

The dress looks really elegant. I tried on a similar dress yesterday but didn’t like the way it clung to my body. You look great as always though.

• October 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Izabelle! This silhouette doesn’t always look so great on me, but the jacket kind of fixed it for me. Hope you’re doing well!

29. October 19, 2011 1:30 pm

I think you look great! I want to get ankle boots but I can never find any that fit right (size 11-12 in shoes) so the search continues πŸ˜›

I don’t know if it’s a trend but I cut my hair really short for the first time in my life. I was always told fat people need long hair but I have been wanting short hair for so long. Anyways that is a new thing I tried and I love it!

• October 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Not sure if you’re able to, but UK fashion retailers (Style369, Evans) seem to go much higher in shoe sizes. A size 10 here is a 7 there, and they go up to 10 or 11 in UK sizes. You might want to try them! I heard that too, and I wore my hair in a short bob for years πŸ™‚ Glad you love it!

30. October 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Uhm, not seeing the cankles!!! you look adorable.

LiteralGemini.blogspot.com

• October 20, 2011 8:03 pm

I meant the fear, not actually having them, haha, but I see the confusion πŸ™‚ Thanks for the comment!

31. October 23, 2011 1:20 pm

You look great as always and you don’t have cankles, lol. I also want those shoes now. They’re fabulous. πŸ™‚

32. November 2, 2011 10:57 pm

Love this outfit. Have been reading your blogs and think they’re great! πŸ™‚

33. Nat permalink
    February 26, 2016 1:22 pm

You look fab. I have cankles myself. It is pissing me off that these so called fashion magazines are limiting us to fashion. I’ve been told I took awesome in tights and skinny jeans. There are a lot of beautiful women with cankles. Kim kardashian, Denise Richards, Alicia keys, Jennifer L Hewitt, Olivia Wilde, minka Kelly, and Katy Perry are all born with bonafide cankles. So if they are considered to be the most desirable women in Hollywood, why can’t be desirable to ourselves. These women show confidence and that is a part of them that makes then sexy. Your killer curves are rocking that outfit. I am in love with your hair, makeup, and nails. You were so on point with this look.

1. 3 Years of Growth and Fashion | theplussideofme