OOTD: Bringing Coral Red into my Winterwear

January 16, 2012

If you’ve been reading my blog long enough, then you know I have a certain love for the color of coral red. As I went through my closet over break, I realized that I had bought a striped coral top that never was used in my transition into a new semester at school in the fall. I’m ashamed to say that I often find long forgotten, never worn items, so I decided to make up for my negligence by wearing it TWICE in the same week.

The first look is what I wore to go grocery shopping with your parents, which, by the way, there’s nothing like trailing behind your parents trying to add a ham and cheddar Lunchable to the cart to remind yourself that you’re a 23 year old living in your parent’s basement. This outfit works perfectly for those weird winter weather days where it’s cool but not cold enough for a heavy jacket.

I paired the striped top with a blue gray jacket from Old Navy. I like that the jacket has a long length, and you can cinch the waist if you want to. I’m happy with any garment that can sucessfully pull off two shapes. I also wore the tan/red flats from Old Navy that have been sitting in my closet for a long time too. I’m not sure how else to wear these, so any suggestions are welcome!

Old Navy Jacket, Old Navy Striped Tee, City Chic Jeans, Old Navy Flats, DIY Button Ring

This second look I wore today to go out to lunch with my sister and her husband and to do some school work at a local coffee shop. I think it’s safe to say I’m not 100% in love with every aspect of these outfits, and I’m questioning how all of these colors look together.

Calvin Klein Blazer, Old Navy Striped Tee, City Chic Jeans, Nasty Gal Necklace, ASOS Satchel, Target Shoes

This past week all I did was dress inappropriately for the weather and wear outfits I wasn’t sure about. We all have our slightly off week, right? Regardless, I’m happy to put some color into my outfits, especially since it’s coral!

Do you have a color from a previous season that you are interweaving into your winterwear or are you an all-the-colors-all-the-time type of person?

1. January 16, 2012 9:46 pm

I LOVE that jacket. I have a couple with a similar shape & I am OBSESSED with them. As always, your smile knocks me dead. And you have FANTASTIC hair. FANTASTIC!

2. January 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I think you did a great job incorporating the striped shirt into your wardrobe. I love both looks. You should definately keep using the shirt.

As for your red/tan flats you can pair them with a pair of dark blue skinny jeans (like you already have) & a great trench.

grownandcurvywoman.wordpress.com

3. January 16, 2012 10:05 pm

You did a great job styling the shirt! I like both looks, but especially the second. The coral and teal look great together. Thanks for reminding me that I have the same bag, that has been languishing in MY closet, unused and overlooked…

Those red/tan flats are really cute. I would probably style them with a nautical theme in mind. The red/tan look great with navy – maybe a white tee, your red blazer and jeans? But I think they’d also look cute with a skirt or dress. They could even work with black, but I’d bring in a belt/bag to tie in the brown.

I really love your hair lately! I think your stylist did a fantastic job with the highlights too. You look amazing.

I’m definitely an all-color-all-the-time kind of girl. Even when I try not to be full-on color with my clothing, I end up with bright pink lipstick or something.

4. January 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Don’t worry about the color combinations, they look awesome. That’s an outfit that I would definitely wear!

5. January 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I am really enjoying your blog. I love how you write about clothing yourself — carefully, thoughtfully, in ways that express appreciation of your darling self. I love the pictures because I think you are so completely lovely. I wish I were your grandmother so I could indulge you recklessly and, of course, I wish I had the means to indulge you recklessly. Do you know how lovely you look in those pictures? I hope people are tellng you that you are. I discovered your blog so accidentally I can’t remember how it happened. I read one post and it made me feel relaxed and charmed. So I subscribed and I read every one of your posts in between my various listservs which are all too often annoying in one way or another.

January 16, 2012 10:36 pm

You really hit it out of the park today! The first outfit with the old navy jacket is amazing. Love the little ballet shoes with it. I liked it better than the second outfit although I loved the purse. You are so beautiful. You have beautiful eyes and a smile that lights up the room. Your skin is like “buttah” as Linda Richmond says on SNL. I am loving this blog. After your 60’s adventure, I got online and looked at the styles back then and then I got on the Macy’s sale site and saw a lot of 60’s inspired clothing. It was really a great era for clothing although there were some real clunkers as well. The classics have seemed to stay. I think of the five of you, you captured the spirit of the era better. I do hope you are going into design and style because you have a real flair for it. You should have your own boutique with lots of unusual things in it. You could be a buyer for a big store. I would trust your choices everytime.

7. January 16, 2012 11:41 pm

I love your outfits and think you did an great job making all the colors work. And your bag from ASOS is amazing! So pretty.

Your red/leather flats would look cute with rolled up light jeans (or capris), a white tee, and a blazer (maybe red to tie things together). They’d also look good with a denim skirt or dress! But I think they look great as you styled them here, too. 🙂

I don’t really have a particular color I’m trying to wear more, I’m just trying to wear more of my clothes in general! Too often I find myself wearing the same items over and over, you know? Thank you for doing this post, it reminded me to reach for my lesser-worn clothes (especially the things with tags still on them, whoops!).

diyfatshion.blogspot.com

8. Nicole permalink
    January 18, 2012 10:38 am

Randomly found your blog… loving your style! Adore the flats as I’m a huge fan of them in general, and I’m completely obsessed with that bag! Sadly it looks like they don’t carry it anymore. Hmm, on second thought that’s a horrible bag, let me take it off your hands 😉

9. January 22, 2012 11:38 pm

i have total bag envy.
    i love green in every shade.
    beautiful.