Call for Help: Birdy Skirt

February 24, 2012

Almost a year ago I had asked readers to help me re-style a couple outfits (here) because I felt like my first take on them felt incomplete. Well, it’s time for you all to get your suggestions going because I put together an outfit last weekend that just felt blah. I’m not a big skirt wearer, so whenever I find one I like, I still have a difficult time pulling pieces together for a great look. Below you’ll find my attempt, and I want to hear how you think I should style it for next time.

What should I do with this birdy skirt next time? I’ll pick different suggestions and retry this skirt in a future post 🙂

1. lakeyshia permalink
    February 24, 2012 4:08 pm

I like. I think maybe a colored topor colored accessories would brighten it up a bit. Maybe red, or yellow. Or a colored belt.

2. February 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello! I think you are wearing this skirt very well!
    What about pairing it with a white top next time?

3. Jacki Anderson permalink
    February 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, I love turtle necks so I really like that with it, but since a t-neck reminds me of cooler weather (not like we’ve had any lately though), I might have worn black tights and those same shoes or maybe try booties if you have any. I like the belt. I don’t notice too much jewelry so I would maybe consider something like a shorter/choker almost necklace in either the chrome color of the belt-buckle, or if you could find a junky stone/gem necklace in the blue to match the skirt. If you don’t like the necklace idea, what about a headband with one of those silk flowers on it? Or instead of a necklace, a brooche, (broche, broach) or maybe a small pin up close to the neck (what they use to call “scatter pins”)? Otherwise, delightful outfit.

4. February 24, 2012 4:23 pm

White vest top, gold sandals?
    I like what u have done with the skirt tho, really lovely skirt by the way!

• Denisa Dellinger permalink
      February 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I like this idea Gina. I was thinking white something on top but not all white.

5. February 24, 2012 4:23 pm

so cute! I want to steal that skirt, haha, I live in knee-length skirts. I would pick a short-sleeved lower-cut top in a brighter color, like yellow/orange maybe? then add a chunky necklace or earrings, and possibly go with shoes to match the bright shirt, although those heels work too 🙂

6. February 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Agreed that jewelry would add some punch here or maybe a funky colored bag and a pair of booties as mentioned above. I love your start and I think the skirt is ADORABLE!!! Cutest pattern ever.

7. February 24, 2012 4:56 pm

I like it better with the belt you have on in the first picture. My first thought was that it’d look really pulled together if you had a short scarf tied to the side around your neck. Also, that skirt is super cute.
    I just started reading your blog recently and wanted to say you are really inspirational (and beautiful!!) I read one of your older posts about dressing in undergrad just to be clothed versus trying to dress up a bit more and it really spoke to me. I feel better about myself when I take more time to pick out my clothes, coordinate some accessories, and do my hair up. It gives me more confidence when I go out shopping, etc. So thank you!

8. February 24, 2012 5:01 pm

I knew I should have bought that skirt when I had a chance, it’s so dang adorable. And I actually really love your first attempt at it! Maybe for warmer weather, you could pair it with a white tee, denim jacket (or vest), cute sandals, and a bright statement necklace? 🙂
    diyfatshion.blogspot.com

• Denisa Dellinger permalink
      February 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I like your idea too Dani. That skirt is so versatile, you can wear it all year. The jean jacket is a great idea.

9. Polly permalink
    February 24, 2012 5:37 pm

I think maybe some pink would make the outfit pop – pink with the black and blue might be worth a try.

10. February 24, 2012 6:05 pm

I agree with a lot of these suggestions!

I totally think adding some bright statement jewelry to the outfit would make it more fun. Also maybe try a white camisole tucked into the skirt under a structured blazer and wear the same heels and keep the belt from the first picture.

I absolutely love the skirt!

11. Taylor permalink
    February 24, 2012 6:28 pm

I would wear it with a more dainty shirt, maybe a lacy top or even a black tank top for summer. The turtleneck is too bulky in my opinion… Since its a swing style skirt, I would have a shirt going a little below the waist. The shoes are perfect!!
    Love the skirt!!

12. mfeus permalink
    February 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I LOVE that skirt!!! Where did you get it?? I would pair it with a cute white tank and a yellow cardigan…

February 24, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree with the girls that you need accessaries. I know you usually do include them with an outfit, Now I thought of the black top idea with a white blazer or jacket. The gold or silver tone shoes are a good idea. I like it without the belt. I love the black shoes you are wearing here. They are a good height. This skirt is so cool! It is unusual.

14. February 24, 2012 8:39 pm

I think a yellow top would look great against the blue of the skirt. The belt looks really great with this outfit. I don’t pay much attention to details in my outfits so I consider it a big deal when I have a necklace on or a belt.

15. February 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Personally, I love the top look you have going with the black top, belt, shoes, and grey bag. The only thing I would add is a dangly necklace preferably something bright yellow. 😀 But your look looks fab the way it is.

Possible other looks: Bright blue blazer and silky cami. Leggings, boots, and cowl neck sweater with a belt for definition.

16. February 25, 2012 3:14 am

I too find skirts incredibly difficult – one the main things I’m getting the lovely Monkey Fatshionista to help me with. I love the outfit you’ve got on – I’m always scared of polo (turtle) necks but you look so nice in it I might dig my old ones out!

17. February 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Definitely some yellow! Yellow belt, or even a yellow top!

18. February 25, 2012 6:40 pm

What a cute print!

19. February 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I think you wore it great with the belt, it just needs a nice long dangly necklace.

Some other ways I would wear a skirt like that:

I would wear a long dangly necklace for sure

Top options: black tank with black blazer, blue tank with black blazer, white tank with black blazer, longer black shirt/blouse (would wear all options with a belt)

Shoe options: black sandals in summer, black boots(or booties, I recall you saying you can’t find boots to fit your calves 😦 )

Now that I look at it closer….I think it would even look good if you went white top, brown belt and brown shoes…..I would have to see it together, but I think it would look good especially to lighten it up for spring/summer.

Good luck, I can’t wait to see what you do with it! It’s cute! I have always been a skirt lover!

20. February 26, 2012 5:30 am

I really like the skirt and the black turtle neck. Do you have a thicker belt in yellow similar to the black.

21. February 26, 2012 3:56 pm

I really like the way you’ve styled it here! I also have a question? How do you wear your belts all day? I get really hot and sweaty under belts. . .And, at some point during wear feel really restricted in them. Then, I take them off and sorta ruin the silhouette of my outfit. Am I the only one who feels this way? I do get fairly sweaty at work at times. I’m an art teacher, so my job is fairly physical what with chasing kids and moving stuff about. .But, you’re a busy lady too. . .Maybe it is just me?

• February 26, 2012 5:39 pm

It’s definitely an issue, Amy! The one in this post has a stretchy back, which makes them much more comfortable for all day wear. The thin belts if I put them on my high waist have to be loosened when I sit, and other belts just have to be removed if I’m sitting, crouching, etc all day. Since I tutor, I have to sit a lot, and I end up removing my belt while I’m doing that pretty often. I don’t tend to have sweating issues as much as restriction issues, but I can imagine it’s annoying. Not sure how to avoid it though!

22. February 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I love love love your look here. It’s so 60s mod fabulous!!!

23. March 2, 2012 11:26 am

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! Can’t wait to Re-Do this look!

24. March 4, 2012 10:36 am

maybe it’s just me but i actually love this look how it is it’s so cute and something i’d definitely try!

the-madness-inside.blogspot.com