Five Take: Neutrals

February 26, 2012

I tend to think about my outfits through a particular item I want to wear. As my outfit comes together, I tend to think of different colors, accessories, shapes that make that item stand out, so I really have to reframe my mind when Five Take has us create an outfit around a particular color scheme. This week, Five Take (where Gina, Becky, Claire, Nicole and I take on a particular theme) took on neutrals, and at first I envisioned myself creating a outfit through tans and creams a la these runway pics.

(image source)

When that idea didn’t turn out too well, I thought I’d go for something very romantic like Dee from Pearl, Lace, and Ruffles pulls of so well (such as here, here, and here). When that idea failed again, I decided to deviate from the need to have the entire outfit be a neutral color (beige, ivory, taupe, black, gray, and white), and instead chose to highlight a khaki neutral and play around it with different colors.

I liked the idea of a chambray top with a khaki colored pleated skirt. The skirt is actually shorter than it appears, but the camera angle makes it look like it goes only a couple inches above my ankle. I tried the shirt tucked in tightly and a little loose, each had it’s own feel to the outfit, but I decided on tighter since I was adding a belt. Picking accessories for this outfit was a long process. I tried a bunch of different combinations: long necklaces with a single charm, green stone necklaces, and bracelets of different styles. I finally decided on this cute necklace I got from an Ideeli sale and a turquoise ring. The necklace is absolutely adorable to me, but then again, I’m a word nerd!

I tried on at least 6 different pairs of shoes, and none of them really fit what I wanted to wear with this outfit. The coral shoes were a last ditch effort, and they look okay, but weren’t what I was really wanting. The skirt itself is really great quality. It’s from Eloquii, and I picked it up for 50% off. A common problem I have with skirts is that the skirt itself fits me fine but the lining is too tight. This skirt was no exception, and I’ve had to cut away at the lining. It’s not fun to do (afterall, I think we’d all like to buy items that don’t need to be doctored into fitting correctly), but it’s something I’m willing to do when I find something I like enough. It just means you have to buy an appropriately colored slip.

Eloquii skirt, Old Navy Plus shirt, Lenora Dame necklace (similar), Evans ring, Target flats

I’d like to keep working on this outfit and try it with different belts and shoes, but I still felt good with my first try at neutrals. It will still be a challenge for me to do a totally neutral outfit (besides mixing black with another neutral color–that’s easy!), but I do like the look on other people. I’m excited to see how the other Five Take ladies have taken on the theme. Maybe they’ll show me how to do fully neutral!

Check out the other Five Takes:

Claire at A Monkey Fatshionista

Gina at Fat, Fit, Fine

Nicole at A Well-Rounded Venture

Becky at The Ramblings of Mrs. BeBe

What do you think of my take on neutrals? How do you wear neutrals?

1. February 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Ooh I love this, we both went for a denim/chambray shirt!! xx

2. February 26, 2012 5:40 pm

I nearly wore my skirt with denim shirt! Haha so funny. REALLY like that skirt & I am having real issues finding a denim shirt that fits properly.

• February 26, 2012 5:50 pm

This shirt took some tugging! A little loose along my shoulders and such and then tight on my stomach area, of course. I wish they would come out with shirts like these for different shapes. I get annoyed with the pear, apple, hourglass things, but I wouldn’t mind finding shirts that fit a pear really well! haha 🙂

3. February 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Amazing necklace and love the pleats!

February 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Rebecca, you really picked a winner! The outfit is really beautiful. I think the shoes add some pop to the outfit. Love the necklace as well. The blue shirt is wonderful with the skirt. Neutral are used to bring out something else in the outfit and brings versatility. When you mentioned neutrals, I thought instantly about a white shirt and a khaki skirt or pants played off by a brown or black belt. A pop of color about the neckline such as a scarf or your necklace would be great.

5. February 26, 2012 8:27 pm

I am OBSESSED with this look on you. It’s so classy & classic & flattering. Great job putting this one together. Seriously, give yourself more credit, because this is one outstanding look on you.

• March 2, 2012 11:47 am

Thank you!! You pointed out to a major character flaw of mine. I never seem to let myself be good at something. I always find a flaw. Something to work on for sure.

6. Jacki Anderson permalink
    February 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I love the necklace! and the skirt. I would have liked to have seen the shirt belted with the tails on the outside which might make a more linear line, or not be such a drastic line between the light skirt and the darker top, but I see in your earlier post that the fit wasn’t gonna work for that. That happens to me all the time. I think you did a great job!

7. February 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Love the skirt!! It looks so light and airy; juxtapose that with the chambray denim shirt and this is a really cute look.

8. February 27, 2012 1:12 am

Very cute outfit! Love the skirt! ❤
    Really been into neutrals lately too
    tho I`m always wearing black so a bit out of my comfort zone.
    But it`s so pretty and lovely for spring. ^^d Have a great week! ^^/
    MMxoxo

• March 2, 2012 11:53 am

I work black almost all week. It’s definitely the color I fall back on. Every day I keep hoping it gets closer to spring. I’m ready for some brights 🙂

9. February 27, 2012 2:33 am

Oh that skirt is gorgeous! I wish they shipped to Australia! I love the colours of the outfit, i’ve only recently started getting into wearing lighter colours.

• March 2, 2012 11:54 am

Yeah, it felt odd to not have a darker, anchor item in my outfit, but I definitely enjoyed the mix up! As for not shipping to Australia. If there’s every something that you really, really want, we can probably work something out for me to send to you!

10. February 27, 2012 9:19 am

The skirt is wonderful! Im glad you wore it!!! The necklace is very cute & goes perfectly with your casual yet stylish outfit. The pop of color with the shoes is a great addition.

11. February 27, 2012 12:08 pm

You look lovely Rebecca! I bought a similar skirt recently, but I have been struggling how to wear it.. I guess I need to get a denim shirt 😉

And thank you for adding me to your blogroll. It really means a lot to me :)!

xx

• March 2, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you, Hanna! I also googled “neutral trend” and found some other ways to mix it up. It tends to bring up runway pics, but still great things to pull inspiration from.

12. February 27, 2012 12:08 pm

THis such a cute look. I like the red flats with it too.

13. February 27, 2012 2:01 pm

I Love this this is so well put together, I really love the pleating on the skirt.

14. February 27, 2012 9:33 pm

I love this!! I think you could style this top with a nice cobalt blue top or a red top. You look fabulous!

15. February 28, 2012 3:59 am

I love the denim with the pretty, girly skirt. Really unique, and I’ll have to try something similar. Hopefully it comes out as well as yours, pretty lady! 🙂

diyfatshion.blogspot.com

February 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Rebecca, this doesn’t have anything to do with neutrals but I was looking on the nordstroms plus webpage and saw the cutest maxi cardigan It is the olivia moon maxi cardigan for $58. It comes in gray or black and would be so cute on you. It would go perfect over your stretchy jeans and a cute top and a great necklace. I think the length of the maxi is a great way to lengthen our bodies. It looks very light and not bulky, very fashionable. It goes up to 3x. The price seems right but I don’t know with being a student how budget is for you. Just thought I would pass it along. I just thought of you when I saw it.

17. February 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Ditto on the skirt issue. Linings are always a problem for me in my hips and tummy area. But you look lovely… ethereal and so pretty!

Crystal

18. March 1, 2012 2:13 pm

Great job! I tend toward the darker neutrals (such a safe place!) but I love the idea of building lighter neutral outfits. I think you picked a great mix, and I especially like the pop of color in the shoe. 🙂

• March 2, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks! I wasn’t too sure about the shoe, but everyone seemed to like it. I need to start trusting my gut more often 🙂

19. March 4, 2012 1:09 am

I’ve been dying to buy a long pleated skirt but I didn’t know what to wear it with. Thanks for the tip!

20. March 5, 2012 4:41 pm

I love the necklace! I design jewelry and this has given me a great idea!!! Bekah at Matters of Merry Making has featured some of my pieces and that is where I found your link today! You look great Rebecca!

• March 5, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks!! I loved it the moment my eyes fell on the necklace. I’m so happy that Bekah included me. Thanks for stopping by 🙂 I’ll have to check out your shop!

21. March 5, 2012 7:07 pm

I really, REALLY love this. It’s so classic and chic, and you just look amazing!

22. March 6, 2012 11:58 am

Yea… so… I LOVE THIS! I think- no I know that this is my inspiration and motivation to get a pleated skirt! LOVE!

23. James permalink
    March 1, 2013 4:14 pm

I think you look really good, very fashionable. I’ve gotten some ideas of what to get my girlfriend from this, really lovely, thanks!

24. March 25, 2013 6:36 pm

So so cute!!
    You should try it with a belt and leave the shirt un-tucked.

25. modernqueenabigail permalink