Five Take: Polka Dots

March 5, 2012

Becky, Gina, Claire, Nicole and I had the Five Take theme of polka dots this week. I was super excited about it because I love the trend, but then I looked in my closet and I only had 3 items: a purse, a cardigan, and a swimsuit (I must not love itthat much, huh?). Ruling the swimsuit out for obvious reasons, I had to choose between the purse and cardigan, and since I enjoy polka dots in small, purposeful pieces of a look, I decided on the purse.

I went for a relatively simple outfit with a pop of polka dots and chain details in my accessories. I loved the combination of the textured stripes with the printed polka dots, and FOR ONCE my skirt looks the right length in pictures — hooray! I’m really in love with this skirt, and I’m glad I found it on eBay since I had let it slip by on ASOS. It’s thick and long enough that I don’t have to worry about it riding up when I sit down or bend over, and it has a lovely deep red wine color.

Is it sad that my purse is more tan than me?

Old Navy Shirt, ASOS Curve Skirt, Target Wedges, Sequin Chain Necklace, ALDO Purse

I really enjoyed wearing this outfit. I had mentioned in a post long ago that the toughest fashion item for me to wear is a skirt, and I’m happily starting to find some skirts that suit my style and body. I also liked that the purse brought in a new color as well as pattern to the outfit. I know that Becky and Gina already have posts up with fun looks involving polka dots, so make sure you go check out the other Five Takers and see their takes :)!

Becky at The Ramblings of Mrs. BeBe

Gina at Fat, Fit, Fine

Claire at A Monkey Fatshionista

Nicole at A Well-Rounded Venture

Are polka dots a gotta have it or can leave it trend for you? How do you incorporate them into your outfits?

1. March 5, 2012 9:43 pm

I love that bag. Great challenge idea.

2. March 5, 2012 9:46 pm

OMG so cute! Makes me wish I had purchased that skirt. Love the polka dot accent.

• March 5, 2012 10:29 pm

Aw, thank you, Jay! I’m completely in love with your style. I liked your heart-polka dot top in your lastest post 🙂

3. March 5, 2012 10:03 pm

you look so refined, like you’re on your way to a fancyass dinner party, i love it!

• March 5, 2012 10:28 pm

lol! I’m always over dressed, so I’m sure you’re right. This is my plight, cause I live in a smallish suburb town where a nice top and jeans is considered “dressed up”. Oh well!

4. March 5, 2012 10:24 pm

“Is it sad that my purse is more tan than me?” Thank you for the laugh!
    I really love this outfit! I have a pleated skirt in the same color as your skirt and I absolutely love wearing it.

I used to love polka dots as a little girl. I think polkda dots are a nice print, I just try to limit it to one item: a top or a skirt.

5. Polly permalink
    March 5, 2012 10:55 pm

LOVE this outfit. You look awesome in this. I love how simple it is, but then the bag really lifts the whole thing.

6. March 5, 2012 11:14 pm

CUTE!!! Really love the skirt, because I have it too. *wink* I don’t have anything with polka dots, but I really would like to incorportate some into my wardrobe. Your polka dot purse adds that extra little, oompf!

• March 5, 2012 11:50 pm

Thank you! I just got the skirt in the mail today, and I’m already sooo happy with it 🙂

March 5, 2012 11:38 pm

I think the little polka dot purse is perfect! You look so beautiful in this outfit! It really accents your curves in a really good way. Never be afraid to dress like the sexy woman you are.

• March 5, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks Denisa! You’re so right. “Sexy” is a hard description for me to take on, but I need to!

8. March 6, 2012 12:45 am

A very lovely outfit indeed! Love the skirt. ^^d
    You look very pretty. ^^d MMxoxo

9. March 6, 2012 1:46 am

I feel ya on the “my purse is tanner than me” issue. 😉 Super cute take on polka dots! And the skirt is amazing. 🙂

10. March 6, 2012 2:45 am

I love the purse and am dying over that skirt. This whole outfit is very sophisticated.

I am a fan of polka dots– I wore polka dots today, too, actually! Obviously there is such a thing as too much polka dotty goodness, but it’s probably my favorite print.

• March 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Erin! I love them too. I wish I could find more of them that I liked the whole style. Ususally the shapes I like aren’t in my size (of course!)

11. March 6, 2012 2:57 am

I love that skirt! the colour, the lenght, the shape and so perfect on you!!!
    nop, I do not wear polka dots in any way. dont really like them….

Love, Ylenia from *Longuette*

12. March 6, 2012 3:16 am

You look so sophisticated!!! In glad you found a skirt worthy of your amazing curves! The polka dot bag is perfect! I’m currently in love with polka dots!!!

13. March 6, 2012 5:51 am

Man!! I want this skirt so bad! I skipped over it too, but have seem so mnay bloggers rock it! Jealous!!! You look beautiful 🙂 xx

14. Jacki Anderson permalink
    March 6, 2012 6:25 am

Love this look. I love the pop of polka-dots, and the skirt/top looks really lovely, both in color and style. Great job.

15. March 6, 2012 6:56 am

I love your purse and the color of your skirt is fantastic! I wore polka dots yesterday too, but not quite in the small dose you did, lol. You look beautiful!!

• March 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks! I need to find an item that’s more prominent that I like in polka dots. The hunt continues… 🙂

16. March 6, 2012 6:57 am

I rarely wear polka-dots. Maybe never? But I like the idea of my accessories being dotty. After all the ways Kenley Collins has rocked polka-dots on Project Runway All-Stars, I really want to give them a try. This is one of my fave outfits that you’ve worn lately. It looks very sophisticated.

17. March 6, 2012 9:00 am

Oh you look lovely! I don’t know if you have any of them but the chiffon skirts that ASOS released last year would look beautiful on you too. They kinda have the same cut as the one you’re wearing now. 🙂

• March 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I missed out on them :(. I’ve loved them on Nicole from A Well-Rounded Venture. I’ll have to look on ebay to see if any pop up.

18. March 6, 2012 11:01 am

I love the outfit! Great job 🙂

19. March 6, 2012 11:30 am

I love that skirt! And the little pop of polka on the bag feels just right.

20. March 6, 2012 2:20 pm

Cute! Although, selfishly, I want to see the cardigan and be jealous of it! Great outfit today!

21. March 6, 2012 2:35 pm

I personally love polka dots if they don’t overwhelm an outfit. You look fab!

22. March 6, 2012 5:09 pm

Diviiiiiine. Love it.

23. Molly permalink
    March 6, 2012 6:07 pm

This guy just arrived from Eloquii and I think it’s going to be one of my new favorites!

• March 6, 2012 6:16 pm

Ha! That’s the cardigan I mentioned in my post! Haven’t figured out if I like the tan color around the polka dots yet.

• Molly permalink
        March 6, 2012 11:34 pm

I’m looking forward to rocking it with a pair of dark skinnies and a orangey-coral top underneath. I’m not normally a fan of the color tan, but I think it looks great as a neutral base for bright colors. Eloquii’s launch has put me in some serious trouble – I love everything they have! After so many plus size lines having mostly dowdy pieces with a small handful of decent pieces, it’s a nice change to have a website where mostly everything seems to be a winner. There aren’t any terrible prints or strange sequins or errant butterflies that designers like to throw on plus size clothes. It’s exactly what I’d have in mind if I were a plus size designer. I’d like to call my line, “Plus size: Like regular clothes, but bigger!” Please don’t put me in a frock. I want to look fashionable just like everyone else.

• March 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Oooh!! That’s a great color combination idea, Molly! I’ve struggled with figuring out how to wear it. And I agree. Eloquii is proving plus size clothing can be anything but dowdy. Now they need to extend their sizes!

24. March 7, 2012 11:22 pm

I love the texture of that skirt. It’s gorgeous!
    I like your untraditional take on polka dots. It’s sweet to see them used as a fun highlight rather than as the basis for an entire outfit.

25. March 8, 2012 4:21 am

This is so cute! The skirt looks amazing on you.

26. March 11, 2012 6:15 pm