Five Take: Fluorescent

July 22, 2012

It’s Five Take time again, and I’m actually on track which is a surprise (I still need to do a post for last week’s theme of sheer!). For those of you new to Five Take, it’s a challenge where five of us bloggers take on a theme, trend, or item to show how we individually interpret it. This week’s them is fluorescent colored items, and from reading my fellow five-taker’s posts, they weren’t exactly jumping out of their seats to try the trend. Even though I picked the theme, I felt the same way–which is why I put it on the list for us to do. I’ve had a couple fluorescent items sulking away in my closet, so I figured this was a good way to push myself into wearing it.

Most days I try to dress with what I’m going to be doing in mind, but yesterday I dressed with Five Take in mind–kind of a mistake! I was heading out to go to “Farmer’s Day” at a small town near my sister’s. Farmer’s day was a small street festival with local vendors, a farmer’s market with locally grown food, and entertainment from local dance schools, etc. So, me, in July, in a bright, fluoro sweater (what was I thinking), walking around “Farmer’s Day” in a small town out in the country. It provided a good amount of laughs, 1 compliment, and allowed me to function as the beacon of light for when someone became lost from the group.

I wore it with my hair up and white sandals, but changed the outfit some when I got home. Here’s the edited version:

Since it was hot out, I really couldn’t imagine adding any type of layer over the sweater, although I’d definitely like that come fall/winter. The sweater is from ASOS, and it’s actually pretty thin for a sweater. I love the cut and sleeve length, and hopefully they will bring it out in more colors in the fall. Since my top was so bright, I kept it simple with rolled up skinny jeans and black and silver accessories.

Although you can’t see it well, I had added a silver, flower head band. The elastic that connected the headband was broken, but I figured out that I could use bobby pins to keep it in place. Definitely something to keep in mind if you buy them from ASOS, which is where I got this one (and I know most of them are made with the elastic).

The jeans are my favorite City Chic jeans.. I seriously own about 8 pairs of these jeans. They tend to fade after 3-4 months (which is decent considering how often I wear the style), so I buy a couple new pairs every few months. I will cry the day these are taken off the website.

ASOS Curve Sweater, City Chic Jeans, Urban Outfitters heels (similar), ASOS headband

So I’ll completely admit that this sweater is a little bright. Too much? I don’t know. I’d like to wear it again with more of it broken up with a statement necklace or under some type of jacket/blazer.

Like fluoro in smaller doses? Here’s some pieces that caught my eye:

Cambridge Satchel Co. Fluoro bag

Rocks Paper Metal for BaubleBar necklace

Make sure to check out how the other Five Takers wear fluoro!

Becky at The Ramblings of Mrs. BeBe

Claire at A Monkey Fatshionista

Gina at Fat, Fit, Fine

Nicole at A Well-Rounded Venture

What do you think about fluorescents? How would you wear them?

1. July 22, 2012 12:40 pm

I ADORE this sweater. The color is perfect! Maybe for fall instead? 😉

2. July 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Haha I live in a small village and I always get weird looks when I wear that sweater. It is very bright! lol You look lovely though!

3. July 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I absolutely, positively, love that top!!!! It is SO cute on you!!!! OMG!!!

4. Ylenia permalink
    July 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I am not following the trend because I have already wore it to death in the 80s (yes, i am quite old…) but I have to admit there are many nice pieces around. so I may buy something soon…

5. July 23, 2012 6:59 am

That top looks great on you!

6. July 23, 2012 11:33 am

Such a cute outfit! Loved the rolled up jeans! The sweater looks good on you & you styled it perfectly by keeping it simple!

7. July 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I don’t wear flourescents very often but I would soooo wear that sweater! Lady, that is the perfect color on you! You look so cute with the cuffed jeans and that bag, OMG!

July 23, 2012 8:38 pm

I actually love this big bright pink sweater on you. It is a beautiful color. You could have gotten away with some white tennis shoes or some cute sandles with this summer time outfit
    White jeans or what I call peddle pushers would have lightened up the outfit.

9. Crystal permalink
    July 26, 2012 12:46 am

Looks great on you!! So much so that I went to ASOS and couldn’t find it 😦 Must be sold out. If I missed it, could you put up a link or something similar? Love it!!

10. Becca permalink
    July 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Very nice color on you! I like that you went all out with the theme.

11. Natalie permalink
    July 28, 2012 7:05 am

I have the same jumper and it certainly is bright, I often get comments whenever I wear it! I love it paired with the jeans, it looks great!