In the first year of my blog, I often wrote “Five Lessons Learned, Five Favorite Things” which was a blog series that I borrowed from Amelia Pontes. In the last few months, I’ve gotten increasingly narrow in the type of posts I write, so hopefully I will start opening it up more and sharing things that are inspiring me and/or enjoying rather than just outfit posts.
So here’s my five favorite things in the past couple of weeks 🙂
1. The Glee Project! So here’s my dork flag flying, last summer I watched The Glee Project and absolutely fell in love with the show. Something about watching really talented young people try new things and work towards a dream job gets me excited, and I always like watching shows about people who have skills I do not possess (like singing and ballet shows!). Here’s one of my favorite performances this season from Nellie, who unfortunately is no longer on the show 😦
2. Stumbling upon a really good sale. I don’t normally visit Zara.com because usually everything I want is WAY out of my price range, but for some reason I headed over there yesterday and found some great handbags. I’m glad I acted fast because both styles are already sold out. Here’s what I picked up:
3. Planning a “professional” wardrobe. Now that I’ve got a “big girl” job, I’ve been having fun pinning items that I’d love to wear to teach in. I think it’s kind of a difficult line to hold when you’re going into teaching adults at age 24. I want to show my youth and yet not be defined by my youth. Something to keep in mind is that I never felt like I had a “fashion identity” (or even wanted to create one) until 2 years ago, so how will the changes in my life change that identity? I’m interested in exploring that 🙂
4. Margarita Mondays with my coworkers. Over the summer I’ve been working at my family’s business writing instructional manuals (fun, fun ;)). I’ve worked there on and off since I was 14, and many of the people working there have been there since I was a baby! Sometimes working there can make me feel like an outsider. I’m a coworker, but I’m also the boss’ daughter. They know I’m temporary, so I’m often not pulled in to long term plans they are making, etc. This past week, I was invited out to celebrate a coworker’s birthday with a round of margaritas. I had a lot of fun getting to know these people I’ve known for years outside of the office, and it reminded me that I needed to be more active in showing that I want relationships with them.
5. Lots of wonderful blog posts from interesting, smart, creative women. I’ve been lucky to find blogs and bloggers that I really enjoy getting to know and reading. Here are a few of my favorite posts from the last couple of weeks:
Natalie at Extra Large as Life and her closing doors and opening up new ones
Georgette at Grown and Curvy Woman looking gorgeous in a peplum top and animal print
Valerie at Blog to Be Alive channeling the sun
and my absolute favorite:
Sarah at Return To Sender writing about preserves, her muu muu for eating, and sinks (hil-ar-ious!)
What have you been enjoying this week?