Five Take: LBD (+Hat)

August 5, 2012

It’s Five Take time again, and this week we are showing how we wear an LBD – Little Black Dress. My first thought when I read the theme was, “Uh-oh, I don’t have an LBD!” But the fact is that I really do have a lot of black dresses. I wore one recently during FFFWeek, and I’ve also worn one for the 1960s Five Take post. Still, I don’t consider any of them an “LBD” because I don’t think of them as having the versatility an LBD is supposed to have (and they aren’t comfortable enough for me to want to wear them often!).

Even for today’s post, the dress I’m wearing doesn’t match all of the features of an LBD. It’s short, but too short for my personal taste. It’s simple, and most importantly BLACK! But its thin/cheap material would make it hard to dress up, and it doesn’t make me have a ton of confidence, which I think every LBD should. But anyway, here it is.. dressed with a hat because I missed last week’s Five Take (I’m awful). P.S. (Every item in this post was less than $20 each!)

I picked up this dress from Target’s Women’s section a year or so ago. It’s simple with a bubble-hem type detail on the chest and drawstrings in the back at your upper waist. I had bought it as a swimsuit cover-up, and that’s honestly the most I’ve used it for. I wore it at the beach and on a boat, but I don’t see myself wearing it anywhere else since it’s one of those dresses where you can’t even bend slightly without everything being exposed.

Since I missed last week’s Five Take, I accessorized with a hat. With Five Take, we aim to shop from our own closets for the post, but I decided to go out an buy a hat since I couldn’t find the one I owned last year. This one, also from Target, is cute, but I just don’t think I’m a hat person. I end up constantly nitpicking at it, and it wouldn’t sit properly on my head. Basically, this is how I feel about hats:

Since the hat had a bright yellow ring, I kept my accessories simple with these beautiful slightly-turquoise earrings my old roommate from college made.

You can visit her etsy store here: Bead, Paper, String

Dress: Target (similar), Shoes: Forever21, Hat: Target, Earrings: Bead, Paper, String

Don’t forget to check out the other Five Takers hat and LBD posts:

(I’ve linked to direct posts if they’re up and to the blog’s homepage if they’re not)

Claire at A Monkey Fatshionista: Hat and LBD

Nicole at A Well-Rounded Venture

Becky at The Ramblings of Mrs. BeBe: Hat and LBD

Gina at Fat, Fit, Fine: Hat

So a LBD is hailed as a necessary closet staple for every woman, but I realized that I definitely do not own my singular LBD, just lots of attempts at one!

Do you have an LBD? If so, what makes it special for you and how do you wear it?

f not, do you feel like your closet is lacking or are you fine not having one?

1. August 5, 2012 10:22 am

Such a super cute outfit! Love it! The hat is great and the fact it was all cheap is even better.

2. Nicky permalink
    August 5, 2012 10:40 am

I do not currently have a LBD, surprising since my wardrobe consists of mainly black at the moment!
    I don’t think I’m lacking because I’m more of a trouser and blouse type. I am trying to step out of my comfort zone though – adding more colour and even a few (colourful) dresses, so perhaps finding my perfect LBD should be next on my agenda.

You look cute by the way. I love that hat!

3. August 5, 2012 10:48 am

babe!!!!! LOOK AT YOU!!! Whooottt whoooo!! xx

4. August 5, 2012 11:04 am

You look super cute in this dress!

5. August 5, 2012 11:18 am

I love the dress it’s cute but I love you in the hat even more you look for freaking adorable!! Xx

6. August 5, 2012 3:37 pm

I actually love this dress on you!! You look fresh and pretty!! I have a few little back dresses that it has taken me years to find and I hoard them in a very unflattering way. They are all cocktail hems and v-necks. I love them. Anytime I shop, I keep my eyes open. The perfect one is so hard to find!

7. August 5, 2012 5:13 pm

I love the dress and the yellow hat together- you look great!

8. August 5, 2012 6:13 pm

You look beautiful… look at that smile! Also, I love a light weight LBD in the summer: so comfortable, stylish, and simple!

9. August 6, 2012 12:25 am

Oooh, I feel your pain about hats! I only own a few and almost never wear them because they just feel wonky on me. That, and I seem to have a big head. LOL But yours looks fab on you, and the dress is adorable! I actually don’t own many black dresses, but the ones I do have are pretty dang close to LBD status. You’ll find your perfect one, don’t worry! 🙂

10. August 6, 2012 6:47 am

You look super cute! I’ve been wanting to try a floppy hat look, but haven’t decided what I should do. I bought a similar style hat, all brown, for my honeymoon 4 years ago. Honestly, that is the only time I ever wore it. lol In my head, I’m rocking it with some sexy leopard print chiffon swimsuit cover up like I’m the fat JLo, but in reality I just haven’t made it happen.
    Anyway, sorry about rambling. I think you look great!

11. August 6, 2012 7:00 am

You look absolutely gorgeous and stylish!

12. StylishInSequins permalink
    August 6, 2012 4:20 pm

You are fabulous, girl. I seriously love your confidence and your hat is adorable too!
    kristen at stylish in sequins

13. August 7, 2012 11:52 am

By far my favorite post. Everything you wear is amazing! 🙂 you look beautiful.

14. August 7, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a LBD from Lane Bryant that I bought last summer. There are so many things I love about it. First off: the fabric is a wrinkle-free knit. Easy-peasy. It has short flutter sleeves for some arm coverage because I never ever feel comfortable going sleeveless. It has a dropped empire waist which is really flattering…no faux-baby bump like with some empire waists. It hits right above the knee and looks cute with heels or flats. And…it’s a mock wrap dress with a deep v-neck, so I can change up different camis to wear under it. I absolutely love it. I can wear it in the summer. And I can wear it with tights and boots in the winter. Wow…I need to stop because obviously I could go on and on…

It actually has a similar shape to the one you’re wearing. And I like the hat! But I also feel the same way about them…plus I have a pumpkin head so hats never fit. I tell myself that it’s because my huge head has to accommodate my huge and brilliant brain. 🙂

15. August 13, 2012 10:51 am

LBD is a woman’s best friend! Everyone should have one. I like your outfit b/c you look ready to hang out on the beach or lounge at the pool. You look very comfortable!

August 15, 2012 8:13 am

I am actually just getting to this post, somehow I missed it. I just love the shoes! I’m like you, not my favorite style. It is short and demands that you have a tan with such short hem. I bought a lbd about 6 years ago, It has a mid sleeve with a V neck that has the wrap look, it is a good length and I bought it to wear on a cruise. I got lots of compliments on it but I haven’t had an opportunity to wear it lately. Don’t know if it still fits. But one definitely needs about 3 so you can have different styles for different occasions and some very comfortable dressy black shoes that don’t kill your feet. They are very hard to find!

17. October 20, 2012 7:31 pm

That dress was made for you. Some of my best fitting clothes come from Target.

18. Makere permalink
    December 12, 2012 3:12 pm

LBD, don’t have one, well I do but it’s not little hehe, I know dry, I am just reading thru your blog and wondered who comes up with the themes?

1. Dressaholic « Beautiful Life Captures