OOTD: In Between the Cold and Warm

December 1, 2012

North Carolina has always been a place with unstable winters. One day you need a heavy coat and the next you’re shedding layers and wearing tank tops. Today was one of those days where the outside was kind of cool but the inside of stores and restaurants had the heat blowing like it was real winter weather. I tend to be someone who runs hot anyways, so I always try to figure out how to wear a winter-ish outfit without a lot of bulk, and my new leather vest that I purchased during Black Friday sales at Eloquii helped me out perfectly.

qqIMG_6132

I don’t often wear vests. I think I bought one last year that was lace, but I always feel kind of odd about them once I start pairing them with things. Luckily, I can send out SOS tweets to friends and get feedback within 5 minutes, and those who responded told me to go with it. I ended up really enjoying wearing it with this sheer blouse underneath. It was the perfect amount of layers, and the moto jacket style made me feel a little more edgier than I typically go.

qqIMG_6151
The only thing that annoyed me while wearing it was that it had a habit of slipping off to the sides. Anyone know of a trick in getting a vest to stay in place?

qqIMG_6149

Eloquii Sleeveless Moto Jacket, Torrid Sheer Blouse, City Chic Jeans, Torrid Booties, Forever21 Necklace

As I keep trying to rework it into my wardrobe, I want to try not as conventional of pairings with it.

How have you worn a sleeveless jacket/vest like this? What would you pair it with? Let me know in the comments 🙂

1. December 1, 2012 8:27 pm

I like this. NY is cold but stores are steamy. I layer!

2. December 1, 2012 10:43 pm

How about a safety pin in strategic locations to keep it in place? Just make sure that it has enough give for sitting, bending, etc; I tore a blouse once for not giving myself enough wiggle room, oops!

I think I would have worn it similar to how you wore it, but I would have worn a belt on the blouse underneath for a pop of color (I tend to not have pops of color and I’m trying to change that 😉 ). Love the sheer sleeves with the vest.

You look great 😀

• December 4, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks! Pinning is a good idea! Although I’d probably tear the blouse. I’m wondering if those clothing tapes would work, but I don’t know if they leave a sticky residue or not.

• December 4, 2012 11:20 am

I’ve never tried them, but I imagine with clothing tape or pins, you have to be extra careful either way. One may damage the clothes (eep!), the other will just tear off and not be very useful and possibly leave residue. Wouldn’t it be nice if all of the clothes just sat how we wanted them to? Hehe.

3. December 2, 2012 5:15 am

I love that vest! Very cute outfit, the sheer blouse is amazing :).

I’d try the vest with a pretty, flowy dress and biker boots. I love the mix of feminine and masculine clothing at the moment.

xo

• December 4, 2012 10:35 am

I always try to put on biker boots (in fact I did it with this outfit!) but I never think I look “right” in them– whatever that means.

4. December 2, 2012 3:38 pm

Atlanta winters are just as fickle. I know what you’re going through. Love this look!

5. December 4, 2012 1:06 pm

I am eying a few vests myself this winter…it’s great for layering, I can’t believe I’ve never seriously considered them until this year. 🙂

6. December 5, 2012 5:17 pm

I love this look and have tried similar vests in fitting rooms. I really loved the Urban Mermaids pink floral one from Domino Dollhouse earlier this year. But I’m afraid to take one home with me…They look great in that controlled environment where I’m not up and moving about. I feel like it would always be flopping open. It seems you’ve had the same experience. I too would love to hear more tips about how to avoid this.

7. Makere permalink
    December 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Wow, you have given me some inspiration!! I love your blog, I don’t have one myself, but now that I have seen this, I think I should give you all a taste of what fashion for plus-sizes down under is like, including how expensive. Shopping for Plus-size in New Zealand has been poor for years, however it is slowly getting better. Thanks.

• December 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Yes! I’d be interested in hearing about it. I was contacted once by a company in NZ and it was REALLY expensive for not fashionable pieces. That was a couple years ago now. I’m glad it’s getting a little better

8. deepqueendiva permalink
    December 15, 2012 8:15 am

I love this look on you. I wish I new a non slip trick but I have the same problem…

1. 3 Years of Growth and Fashion | theplussideofme