OMCZ: Stand Out from the Crowd

August 14, 2013

It’s been quite awhile (a year!) since I’ve participated in collaborative blogging challenges (I used to be a part of Five Take), and recently I was inspired by a group of bloggers doing themed posts called Outside of My Comfort Zone. Their mission is to push the boundaries they have either adhered to or unknowingly kept and try new things fashion-wise that aid in confidence and body acceptance. I had been following their posts for awhile, but it was Rachel’s post about Fashion Rules that kind of shook me and reminded me that I still have a really hard time getting out of my own comfort zones. I may have different comfort zones than a few years ago, but I still find myself sliding back into old habits (jeans + tshirt has been my jam this summer). I asked these lovely ladies if I could join, and here I am taking on my first post.

OMCZ

This week Rachel chose the theme Stand Out from the Crowd. I think we can all on some level relate to the desire to fit in to a crowd and not draw attention (hello, high school). There’s certain situations where I feel confident to stick out, such as in a classroom, but there are also situations or ways of being that I shrink away from. The one I have the absolute hardest time with is dressing “sexy” (whatever that is). I can go out with friends and they are willing to own their sexual appeal, but not me. I even feel awkward writing about it.

While I will always be a more conservative dresser, I need to work on allowing myself to be and feel sexy, and for me that translated into a well fitted dress and red lips.

aIMG_8039

aIMG_8044

aIMG_8057

This City Chic dress is my kind of sexy. It fits closely up top and flares at the hip, enhancing my natural body shape. I love the white piping. It’s simple, but that’s me. Red lips are always sexy to me. I wore Revlon’s Just Bitten Lip Balm Stain in Romance.

While “sexy” is my Stand Out from the Crowd look, others may have took on that theme completely differently. Check them out below:

Stephanie at Seeing Spots

Leah at Just Me Leah

Mary at Mary’s Big Closet

Becky Brown at Does My Blog Make Me Look Fat

Emma at Meet The Millards

Rachel at A Dress Is for Life

Natalie at A Wheelbarrow Full of Style

Nikki at Natty Nikki

Rebs at Sullen Hearts

Verena at A Plus Size Fashion Obsession

Beka at Beka’s Stuffy Stuff

Vicky at The Curved Opinion

and Rachel at Happyness Magnet (will be back in September)

aIMG_8046

City Chic Dress, Urban Outfitters heels, eBay clutch

Do you struggle to stand out from the crowd? How so? How would you have taken on this theme?

1. August 14, 2013 7:27 am

The dress is gorgeous, really lovely! The clutch is so cute too.

2. August 14, 2013 7:34 am

Great dress! I find dressy “sexy” to be a challenge but I tend to go for more “edgy” over “sexy”! I also want to tell you that Revlon’s Just Bitten Stain is a great red, too.

3. August 14, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Rebecca,
    first it’s such a lovely outfit you’re wearing. i just love the classy style you have. second i would love to join too. i’m a german plussize blogger and don’t write in english but i think my german reader would be interessted in those posts of you and hopefully in mine too 😀

• August 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Sabina, I do not organize OMCZ, but I encourage you to contact Steph (she’s on the list on the post). Thank you for the compliment. I’ve checked out your blog and love it.

4. August 14, 2013 7:48 am

The dress is gorgeous. Really great outfit. X

5. August 14, 2013 7:48 am

Love it!

6. August 14, 2013 7:54 am

Absolutely love that dress and you are right about red lips. As soon as I put red lipstick on, there is an extra twinkle in my eye that says “I feel sexy”.

• August 14, 2013 7:59 pm

I think red lipstick just takes that extra noticeable step that commands attention (and is sexy in its confidence).

7. Pablo Ramrez permalink
    August 14, 2013 7:55 am

You always look gorgeoous!!! XOXOXOXO from Mxico

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:06:03 +0000 To: pablo_ramirez_guzman@hotmail.com

8. August 14, 2013 9:49 am

Love it! I love the dress!! I not sure how I am going to pull off bare legs but I love it.

• August 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks Melissa! For some reason I like bare legs more than tights. 🙂 Try it!! Let me know how it goes.

9. August 14, 2013 9:59 am

I always love to see “one of us” stretching our comfort zone. It is scary and sometimes I get a little carried away so I understand your caution. You look FABULOUS in this dress. It is lovely, a little sexy, and right on trend. It makes me smile.

10. August 14, 2013 11:05 am

You look gorgeous and definitely sexy! Way to go, girl!

11. August 14, 2013 11:29 am

That dress is lovely and you look amazing, and the little clutch bag is so cute xx

• August 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks! I had bought the bag for NYC and never wore it. As I was getting dressed, i just happened to see it. Love when that happens.

12. August 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Hellllloooooo sexy lady!!! I love it when you push your comfort zones, and you know what, you look like a total fox!! xx

13. August 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Welcome to the challenge and you look fantastic. I love the bag it is so cute x

14. August 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Mission accomplished!!! You really do look fab and sexy. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain works wonders – am currently experimenting with Rendezvous and Smitten and am so pleased. Romance looks great on you 🙂

August 14, 2013 6:13 pm

I am a bit uncomfortable wearing red lipstick. It depends on the shade and intensity. . Yours looks good and I like the black dress. I think what you wore in New York was sexy. I don’t think you have a problem being sexy. Maybe something may be out of your comfort zone. My weight since I have gained extra pounds has me shrinking, and my arms and legs have ballooned out. Plus age has something to do with it. Even in my fifties, I have to remember that I can’t wear what I did in my twenties but I can wear some thing that will look appropriate. Clean lines, bright colors and black always makes me feel sexy, I think a wrap like LBD with something covering my shoulders and upper arms looks good on me. Most of it is do I feel sexy? Sometimes dressing the part will go a long way to sexiness. Being comfortable in your own skin is key and liking yourself. If you do that, others will like you and men will see you as you and others see you.

• August 14, 2013 8:13 pm

I love the idea of a draped shoulder dress. I think it’s the “feeling” that I have a trouble experiencing. Thanks for your comment, Denisa 🙂

16. August 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi,
    I also have a hard time feeling comfortable standing out. I like to use subtle choices that will bring attention to areas of my body that I feel most attractive. I have a nice neck so I tend to wear plunging V-necklines. I try to find necklines that have busy fabric or adornment about the neckline. This takes the eye away from my tummy, :). I usually go for simple, classic and basic styles. My thoughts are the world is so loud that a softer statement can say more!

17. jen permalink
    August 15, 2013 9:29 pm

que linda eres!! saludos!

18. August 16, 2013 1:45 pm

i love this dress on you, you look beautiful!! and red lips are always a winner for me. Im so glad you liked my post on fashion rules that really means a lot to me as I’ve followed your blog for ages before finally starting my own! so thank you for being my inspiration xx

19. Meghan permalink
    August 17, 2013 6:40 pm

This dress is absolutely AMAZING on you! It hits in all the right spots and you look fabulous. The red lips definitely add to it!I love the whole look !!

Also quick question. Time to do my “back to school” shopping for student teaching clothes (eeeeee!!! so excited!). Any good stores or brands you’ve been hooked on lately?? Also… any chance you’re selling anything from your closet soon?

• August 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks Meghan! oooh! Student teaching 🙂 I hope you have a lot of fun with it! I’ve been doing some teaching clothes shopping too. I was really surprised by Lane Bryant. They have some cute pencil skirts, cardigans, sweaters, and dresses right now. Also, SimplyBe also has some really great fall things but it does take a bit to get here and their sizing isn’t always the best for me.

20. August 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Aww … that dress is so lovely. Suits you great, you look fantastic. Love it. 🙂

♡ Mel xoxo

21. August 30, 2013 2:04 am

I LOVE this dress on you. I almost bought it just now, but they only have the larger size in the brown one and I am just not thrilled with that color. How is the fit of City Chic? I have never tried any of their garments.
    Anywho, you look BEAUTIFUL. Whenever I try to be “sexy”, especially in photos, I just look pissed off. lol

22. September 2, 2013 1:12 pm

I love the idea of this challenge! Stepping outside of your comfort zone is so liberating and terrifying at the same time. Bravo you look fabulous:)

xxoxo

23. Jaded permalink
    September 7, 2013 1:41 pm

Love your dress, it is really cute. For me, red lipstick is way outside of my comfort zone. Ok to be honest anything outside of a neutral gloss.

I did go out of my zone and get a body con dress that was both above the knee and had cleavage. I am little miss preppy so this was totally out of my box. I have worn it twice now. Paired with a cardigan. :). But it was met with raves. I haven’t had an occasion to wear it recently but it did help me go out of my box a bit more. I did get another bodycon dress to wear for my b-day with a lower scoop neck and an upper back cutout. It was a hit as well. 🙂

24. September 8, 2013 12:05 am

You look great! Love the dress and lipstick on you!

25. September 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Wow… Looking good. You are really very spiring. I work with KalkiFashion.com and appreciate you.

26. Jamsey permalink
    September 15, 2013 6:20 pm

You, are fucking gorgeous.

27. Matt permalink
    September 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Just found your blog. Love the latest outfit a lot 🙂 The stripes look great.
    And …ermm… you are so gorgeous. I think I have a crush :blush:

28. September 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I totally admire you! Not only you proved the true definition of being sexy with showing less but you also demonstrated how to dress gorgeously. Indeed that red lips definitely adds an “umph” – wear same thing too to feel sexy and confident.

Mitch