OOTD: Striking Silver in Gwynnie Bee

January 20, 2014

When I first learned of Gwynnie Bee a year or so ago, they had limited items in my size. I started a subscription than quickly ended it because I couldn’t find enough items for my virtual closet that I actually wanted to try. Well, a LOT has changed over the past year, and I decided to check out their selections size 24, and there areย so many more things available than I had expect.

I signed up for a subscription again, opting for the 1 item out at a time subscription to ease myself back into their program. One of my favorite pieces was the dress below, and I was super lucky because it was the very first thing sent to me. It’s the kind of item that I normally wouldn’t buy because of its tightness on the model and short hemline. This is why I love Gwynnie Bee. I can try it out without committing to the full price. It was also a brand I had never heard of before (Three Dots), so I knew it was a bit of a gamble.

gb

But the gamble paid off! I tried it on right away and fell in LOVE. It fit me with room to spare in the hips (my biggest fit issue area), and I loved the material and the detail at the bust.

theplussideofme gwynniebee 1

Gwynnie Bee allows you to buy the item at discount if it’s at home with you, and that’s what I did. I’m planning on wearing this again to a conference I’m going to in April in Chicago. I’m presenting my research on fat activist identity and blogging, and I know this is going to give me that dose of confidence I will need to get up in front of strangers and speak.

theplussideofme gwynniebee 2

This dress does have a couple fit faults, but they make sense for my body shape. The sleeves are a little snug and too long, and the back along the shoulders is too broad. I am planning on having the back altered and sleeves shortened. I could make do with the snug sleeves (which are slightly stretchy) if the back fit correctly. I paired the look with a black suede belt, deep red wedge heels, and a small clutch. There are many, many possibilities in styling it differently.

theplussideofme gwynniebee 3

The texture of the dress was really interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever owned anything like it. It’s a boucle knit and very soft. This dress also comes in a dark gray version, which I might have to try out at some point (P.S. I’m wearing the size 24 here without any kind of shapewear underneath).

theplussideofme gwynniebee 4Three Dots dress via Gwynnie Bee, Target wedge heels, ASOS suede belt (similar), Target clutch (similar)

Do you get items from Gwynnie Bee? What were your favorite finds? Any brands I should try out?

*This is not a sponsored post, and I pay for my own Gwynnie Bee subscription. However, links in this post to GB are my “referral link”, and I get credits for those who sign up for the service through it.

1. Joey permalink
    January 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Three dots has some cute stuff. I’ve seen it for sale at Nordstrom. This one looks really good on you.

2. January 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I like this dress a lot. Let me know if you would like to get together while you’re in Chicago.

• January 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Ooh! Yes I’ll be in touch. I should find out in a couple weeks when I present and after that I’m making my travel plans ๐Ÿ™‚

3. January 20, 2014 2:45 pm

You make me want to try Gwynnie Bee again. Thanks for the report!

• January 20, 2014 2:48 pm

I took a look at what they offered before I subscribed. I had to make sure there were at least 10 items I wanted to try, and there was even more than that!

4. January 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Ooh, it’s gorgeous! I love the colour and texture. I hope they bring a service like Gwynnie Bee to the UK.

5. January 20, 2014 3:42 pm

I did gwynniebee in the summer (had lots of weddings that season). This makes me wanna try it again and maybe try some casual items! Love the new hairdo too.

6. Linda J permalink
    January 20, 2014 4:39 pm

ohhh, just lovely and looks comfy too!

I think you’d look gorgeous styling it with the onyx necklace like the model.

7. Laura A permalink
    January 20, 2014 4:42 pm

I had the same issue with Gywnnie Bee, but it’s definitely better now! Love the look. And what conference are you speaking at in Chicago? I’m from the area and it sounds like something I’d be interested in! Thanks.

8. curvyceo permalink
    January 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for posting this! I saw that dress but overlooked it because if the short hemline but it looks great! Will definitely have to give it a try!

9. January 20, 2014 8:16 pm

I LOVE this dress on you. Great fit, great color, great texture – total win.

10. January 21, 2014 5:41 am

Very chic

11. January 21, 2014 8:56 am

This is a really unique dress, from the fabric, to the color, to the twist at the bust. It looks very professional but still chic. I had a similar experience with Gwynnie Bee last year in that I never got the items highest on my wishlist, got frustrated, and decided to break things off after the free trial. But they’ve been emailing me, telling me about their new and improved features, and their selection has grown so much. It’s not something my budget allows right now, but hopefully soon!

Liz

January 21, 2014 12:21 pm

This is great! On the model it looked so short but on you it looks great. I know you will blow them away in Chicago. I love that you made it your own. You look so good in it.

13. Kelly permalink
    January 21, 2014 1:34 pm

This dress is perfect for you! It looks smashing!

14. KEVIN permalink
    January 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Becca
    You look very sexy Classy woman in that dress If you walked in Hollywood Calf you will stop a lot a traffic And that smile goes with its been two years your alway seem happy in your pictures

15. January 22, 2014 3:48 am

This dress looks fabulous on you. I’ve been a GB subscriber since August and I am a size 26/28, and their selection is still limited in my size. I’ve found I fit into many 22/24’s though. My biggest GB surprise was how much I liked this TBags dress, http://themuffinqueenscloset.blogspot.com/2013/12/sephora-smokey-eyes-make-up-class.html

16. January 23, 2014 9:12 am

I wish we had something like this jn the uk! The dress looks amazing!

fatgirlglamorous.blogspot.co.uk

17. January 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Oh my gosh, that dress is gorgeous. The cut is quite corporate and conservative, but the silver shade takes it to a whole new level. Sensational!

18. Tanja permalink
    January 27, 2014 11:32 pm

This dress looks amazing on you, glad you decided to keep it!
    I have been with GwynneeBee for quite some time now, and I do have to say that their service improved significantly over the past few months. I started with two items a month, but went down to one, and mostly use it to try out items I otherwise would not buy.
    My favorite clothes are from Karen Kane. Super comfortable, nice fit (I wear a size 24 and the 3X mostly fits fine), and I like the simple lines of her clothing. I’m now wearing one of the maxi skirts, and I’m thinking of buying it. Love your blog!