OOTD: Dressing Up for a Rehearsal Dinner

October 18, 2015

This weekend was my brother’s wedding, and he married the wonderful Brittany, who you may recognize because she came with me to FFFWeek back in 2013. It was a really exciting weekend, and we had been looking forward to these events for months. I probably (most definitely) had been worrying about what to wear to both the rehearsal dinner and wedding a little too much, but the weekend came and all went well. I’ll have to discuss shopping for a dress in another post because as much as we like to think plus size fashion has gotten so much more accessible, shopping size 24+ is still an overwhelmingly frustrating experience.

But! Back to the good stuff 🙂

My sister Katie put in so much time decorating and setting up for the rehearsal dinner, which was held in my parents’ back yard. It was beautiful! She painted jars, set up candle displays, made bouquets. and set up a loving mood.

raIMG_1202raIMG_1200

I had originally planned to wear an olive green dress from ASOS, but I wasn’t completely happy with the dress, so I decided to keep looking. A couple days before the rehearsal dinner, I decided to check out Dillards at my local mall. I don’t think I’ve ever shopped there before. I imagined it to be like Kohl’s, but it’s definitely not. I was really impressed with how many semi-formal options they had, and how large of a space their plus size selection was housed in. I ended up finding this sparkly Jessica Howard dress that is 100x better in person than through pictures. I had to laugh because the dress was a size 22, and I must have tried on 10+ dresses in a size 24 that didn’t fit. I had given up on finding anything in store when I spotted this number, and it was on super-sale for $35!

raIMG_1171
raIMG_1191

I finished the look with gray wedges from Target and earrings and a bracelet from Charming Charlies.

raIMG_1194

raIMG_1207

My sister Katie and brother-in-law Brandon

raIMG_5395

Brittany and me

raIMG_5394

The whole gang of Agosta siblings and spouses.

P.S. I’m officially the only one (out of 4 total) of my siblings who is still single and unmarried. Do I win an award? I should get something for always ending up on the end of the table or the end of pictures 😉

I’ll share picture from the wedding soon, and will continue to blog sporadically on here. Thanks for checking in every couple months!

1. October 18, 2015 8:11 pm

What a lovely family. Nice choice. Glad you found something charming for your brother’s special occasion. It is always tricky to find something for weddings when you are over a 24+. You look great!

2. Briana permalink
    October 19, 2015 8:02 am

There should be some sort of award… Let me know when you figure out what that is, so I can have one too…

October 19, 2015 10:44 am

Such a beautiful family. Glad for your family and your brother that he has found a wonderful helpmate. Love the dress. You’re looking good as usual. Miss your posts. Shout at us at least once a month to let us know how you are doing and let us see some of your fashionable styles. I know you are busy and we are so happy for you. As the holidays are upon us, we look forward to seeing some of your holiday wears. Dillard’s has some great plus size fashions. They have some really nice Calvin Klein suiting and separates and Jessica Simpson plus lines. Jones New York used to have some nice things but I think they are out of business. Ralph Lauren has a good plus section in Dillards. and of course they have their own lines of separates. Their formal wear section has a huge selection. I am a 16w or 18. Sometimes 1x is too small and 2x too large. I love shopping there and they have huge end of season sales and you can really get things for next to nothing.

4. Amy permalink
    October 19, 2015 11:10 am

I’ve had some good luck with Dillard’s on occasion, too. If you catch the sales just right, you can really score some nice pieces for decent prices. And, yes, their plus-size section tends to be larger than most. It’s nice to walk into a major department store and find more than 5 or 6 racks of clothes and then to be able to actually try on several selections instead of just 1 or 2 pieces. Or, at least the store in Winston-Salem at Hanes Mall tends to have a larger-than-most section and sounds like your local mall store has a good amount of choices, also. Glad you were able to find a dress that you loved…it’s really a beautiful dress! I do envy your ability to walk into a brick and mortar store and find shoes. I wear a size 12W, so 99% of my shoes have to be ordered online. We all know how hard it is to find good fitting clothing online, so imagine what it’s like trying to buy shoes that way. So, I get a double whammy…hard to find clothes and hard to find shoes. Sigh, oh well. You look amazing in your dress, and I hope it made you feel beautiful, because feeling beautiful is always good for putting a little extra sass in your step 🙂 And, yeah, if you figure out the award secret for being the unmarried one in a group of people, spread the knowledge LOL I can relate to that, especially now that I’ve reached my early 40’s and the story is the same.

5. November 14, 2015 7:23 pm

The magenta colored dress caught my eye. I like colors that pop and say, “Hello, her I am!” The decorations were lovely. Those gray shoes look really comfortable. They go well with your dress.

6. February 14, 2016 5:20 am

what great decorations, looks like you had a fabulous day x

1. My Top 10 Favorite Posts I've Read This Week - HAUTE CURVY WOMAN