The Listening List: The Audiobooks and Podcasts of My 2016

December 30, 2016

When I finished graduate school in 2012, I realized that I hadn’t read anything for the joy of reading in about 4-5 years. Yikes, school reading had taken over my life. I wanted to start reading more, but I was reading so much every day as part of my job that I found myself falling asleep every time I cracked open a book. Enter Audible to the rescue. I signed up for a monthly subscription ($14 a month for 1 book token), and I started reading during my commutes to work. At first I kept it to the car, but now I listen to audiobooks while I cook, clean, and sit in bed playing the “Mexican Train” game on my phone before falling asleep. I started in 2013 with 11 titles in my Audible library. Now I have 95! Β I’ve spent some serious time getting back into books, and I love it. I still won’t crack open a book, but I will definitely press play, and I’ve even added podcasts to my weekly listening.

Below is a list of all the books I read through Audible during 2016 (with the exception of some I started but never finished). I also included three podcasts that I listened to throughout the year. If you click on the image, a gallery will appear with some notes about each piece, so if you want to hear my thoughts on each, just click through the gallery below.

What books and/or podcasts have you enjoyed this year that I should add to my list?

Any thoughts about the ones I’ve included?

1. December 30, 2016 12:33 pm

I LOVE audiobooks! I’ve read some of these but you’ve given me lots to add to my 2017 to-read (or rather, to-listen) list. Thanks! Happy New Year!

• December 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Oh, and I wasn’t able to click and see your notes (maybe because I’m mobile) but I’m very curious to read your take on several of these. 😊 I’ll try again when I get to my computer.

• December 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Happy New Year to you too! I’m sorry that the gallery wasn’t working on mobile. This is my first time using it, but now I know :).

• December 30, 2016 3:05 pm

No worries! I just wanted you to know — sometimes they’re kinda quirky so I’m never sure whether the glitch is on my end or the poster’s. 😊

2. January 4, 2017 8:41 am

Yes, for some reason, it won’t let me scroll down to read your comments (and this is on my laptop).

3. Heather Roebuck permalink
    January 6, 2017 8:07 am

I’m gonna check some of these out. πŸ™‚ Happy New Year!

4. Carrie permalink
    January 13, 2017 3:03 pm

I love audible! Read quite a few great books this past year. Magnolia, The Winter Guest, The Kommandants Girl, Two by Two, Instant Mom, I said Yes, Girl on the Train and I’m sure a few more. Right now I’m listening to It Ends With us. My faves are autobiographies read by the author. I need to look up some good podcasts.

5. xtralush permalink
    February 2, 2017 12:57 am

Loving this list!! I’ve read many of the books on your list (the dorky ones, nerds unite!) I REALLY want to check out those podcasts though! I’m listening to the 9 Day Confidence Carnival from Bampolife right now. I’d highly suggest it!

6. February 7, 2017 11:10 pm

Love this post!! I’ve been wanting to read dumplin for ages and for awhile I forgot what the title was! Haha thank you! New follower, although I’ve been following you on Instagram for a good while now. ☺️